sulky or no sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by srk5252, Apr 8, 2001.

1. srk5252

srk5252 LawnSite Member

Thinking about getting a sulky for a scag 48. It's belt driven and has a kohler 14hp. Do u think this machine can handle a sulky?? If so any recomendations.

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Sure it can. There are a few people who have the that's why it's called a walkbehind mentality, but as long as there is an alternative, I will not walk. I'm tired enough at the end of a day.

If you are not careful, using a sulky can damage a transmission. They're only about $200 or so, so it's not big deal.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Get it.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

great investment for wb's. It will work just fine.

5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Theres no quetsion about it. Get the sulky. I have one with my Metro HP 48", which is a belt, not problems, and I have never experienced and of this slipping that people talk about when it gets wet. So yeah, go for it!

6. i have a single wheel velke for the same machine except my machine has the kawi. no problems and i am almost 200 lbs. i used to stand on that with a back pack blower on my back and a trimmer on the front. machine did it no problem. last year though it started slipping. all you gotta do is there is a belt below the engine that you may have to tighten. that was after 4 years of using it though. i dont know if i would ever buy a single wheel model again though. cause my feet sometimes slip off. and if the lawns are real wet they get torn up a bit when turning fast. other thing is that when backing it up sometimes the thing makes it so that i cant back it up anymore.- hard to explain. other thing is that a couple of times the thing has rolled backwards and the butt end of the machine wound up in the air suspended by the sulky. but other than that i was very happy.

7. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

I have used several sulkies, Jungle wheels, and the cheepo from landscaper supply, the best one I found is the velky. using a sulky has increased the number of lawns cut in a day by 30 percent.

8. linky

linky LawnSite Member

My only complaints with my two wheel velke is when i put it up to mow difficult areas it is in the way of the gear shifter-no biggie it takes ten seconds to remove.This is my first year using one and after doing a large yard i have alot more energy than before.I have a 15hp belt drive and am very surprised how easily it pulls me up steep hills. I say a two wheel Velke they are only $30 more than the single.

9. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Velkes Suck!!!!!! Just my 2 cents. Get the Proslide!!! You'll love it!! Happy sledding.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

got to have one ....if you can get one wiht caster wheels ....no jack knifing