Sulky or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32in bobcat single belt gear drive used mainly for
    backyards. Would a sulky work on this machine? If so, which
    brand would work best.

2. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

What size is the engine? I have a 36 gravely that has a 13 hp engine that pulls a single wheel velke just fine.

3. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Also how much do you weigh? If your in the 200+ (clydesdale) catagory like me, that makes a difference too.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a 32 with a 10.5 briggs on it. Pulls me (225 lbs.) just fine.

5. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

The engine is a 13hp briggs,and my weight is 200 lbs.

6. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Which brand of sulky are you using ?

7. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Depends on the size of the backyards, we have a 32 inch with a kohler 13hp i believe, it pulls one of our forman who are 325 just fine hopefully he does not read this post now haha

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly the only concern are the couplings, on either side of the transmission you should see two couplings (one each side) that connect the main center transmission shaft to the two outer shafts.

Not sure what you meant by single belt, thou...

hmmm, most have two outer belts, one from trans to engine but two on the outside to each one of the rear wheels, yes?

9. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

I meant to say single wide drive belts, yes there are two drive belts.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In this case the only concern would be the couplings, and it is not an immediate problem but something to check into because with a certain type of coupling there can and will be a repair in the somewhat not-too-distant future.

Specifically it is the splines within the couplings that do it, and there are two designs: The fine spline (or 36 spline) or the nine spline (literally 9), which can also be referred to as fine splined vs. coarse splined.

It is very easy to tell, the nine spline you can literally count the splines (which look like a gear tooth sort of) and on the fine spline all you see is what looks like a very finely toothed gear and it's almost impossible to count each of the teeth (but there are 36 of them).
    Either one works, but the fine spline isn't designed to pull so it will wear out in time, the gears strip but it takes a while.

If yours has the nine spline then you're gtg, the 13hp briggs is a bit on the low end but it will pull you no problem, we've pulled 175 pound dudes on a 52" Toro with that very same engine before.

But if yours has the fine spline (36 tooth geared coupling) then within 6-12 maybe 18-24 months you will need to replace these, which what most guys do at this point is buy the entire nine spline set up which involves the outer and inner shafts and the couplings... One time expense of 1-200 and a few hours labor sets this straight once and for all, it's not that bad, I've done it.

Much past 1998 or so most mowers did start to come out all nine spline, but most older and some newer models still have the fine spline gearset couplings.

Takes a close eye, just take a look at the couplings up inside where it meets the shafts, one one each side of the transmission, between the transmission and the frame, those shafts that lead to your outer belts there should be a coupling on each.
    Or you can just let it go, pray it is nine spline then if it ever breaks you know roughly what the problem might be.

Would I ride it if it were fine spline?
    Absolutely!