Sulky or Velky or......?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I got a John Deere Gs30. I mow small lawns but about 25 a week. I hear selkys and/or velkys are hard to turn and very uncomfortable. I seen professionals bending down so they can control it. It looks uncomfortable for peoples back. Is it worth it? Or what is better and what is the difference?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Cheesedawg, The difference between a velkie and a sulky is that you sit down to ride on a sulky, stand to ride a velkie. I have a velkie x2 two wheeled velkie by wright mfg. I used to take a worse beating while riding. that is part of the reason I bought an exmark wb with a velkie. I have had no more back pain since making this switch. I is easy to control and actually kind of fun when you learn to lean into your turns a little bit. Even on my roughest accounts I feel no pain in my back or knees. It is a real time saver as well. on some accounts i can mow in high gear, which is pretty fast.

3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

locutus,
    which exmark w/b did you get? metro, tthp??

4. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I think that Velky is the name of a sulky manufacturer but I could be wrong. I use a similar setup an exmark wb with a 2 wheel jungle wheels velky or whatever and My dad says its more comfortable on rough turf than a ZTR rider its easy to control ,infact I find it to be easier than walking behind the mower because it helps keep you at the controls and you can go faster so that saves alot of time. Since time is money in this business i'd say its worth it.
    Just get on that won't get in the way too much. I've only ever used the jungle wheels so I couldn't recommend anything but that.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Mowing with WB without sulky is like tiger without claws and teeth. Try one and you will see the huge diff. Saving your legs and muscle for other landscaping job that requires more sweat...
    Sulky is common name for standing attachment which can be trailing or fixed caster type but velke is a sulky manufactured by Wright Mfg. (sulky can be both standing and sitdown)

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Mower Sulky is a brand just like Velky. I have a Mower Sulky 2 wheel stand (TS2000) on my Bunton. The reason so many of us use the mower stand is because of speed. Not only is it manuverable, but you can go a lot faster in open areas. You're right X-mow; time is money, and it is worth every penny.

7. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what locutus stated in his post. I've got a single wheel velke on my Toro, and I think it is great. When I first saw a velke, I wondered how in the world can anyone be comfortable standing on one of these things. I've mowed some pretty bumpy yards and I was not bothered at all. The velkes have pneumatic tires, so that helps cushion a lot of the bumps. Most people I have talked to prefer the single wheel velkes, because they say they will track better and not rock from side to side. But, everyone has their different opinions. Also, some have treaded tires, while some have slick tires. I've heard that the treaded tires a rougher on the turf, but I've had no problems with mine so far. I paid $260 for my velke at the dealer. Here is a pic of it.

camera picture 3.jpg

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've used the one wheeled, like shown above for MANY years. Tough, and easy to use. BUT, I just got the two wheeled Jungle Jims for my 36" TTHP, and the tracks look a LOT better now. All of my yards look like I use a 21" when I use the one wheeled. It puts that line in between the tires. You can get a little closer to things before turning with the one wheeled, but cut looks better with the two wheeled. IMHO.

~Nest

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I used my mower without a sulky for half the season this year... I had a helper and we could just barely bang out 18 lawns in one day. and man i was tired after the day....
    Then my bro had to go back to school... I thought it was time to get a sulky...It has cut my cutting time in half and I am much less tired at the end of the day...The only thing that hurts is my hands in between my thumb and point finger...
    I got the trimmertrap bullrider sulky, since i have a hydro my main concern was to not sacrifice the instant backup...Not only did I not lose that but i have not lost the great trimming ablity of the machine!
    A hydro-mower and a castored sulky are the way to go!!!!!!!!

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no problem with the Velke on my 36" Toro. I was really glad to have it during the hot months.