Sulky question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Apr 29, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I've only used the pro slide and had a question about wheeled sulky's. Does the sulky pivot where it attaches, meaning you can life the front of the mower. Or does it make the mower "longer" and keep the front end down? Forgive my ignorance, I've really never looked at one close up. Thanks.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The velkie two wheel pivots in 3 spots. You can lift the mower, no problem.

3. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

Thanks. I'll probably look at the Bull rider.

4. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Your question is a little confusing but if you explain it, i'll answer it. What is it you're concerned about?

Jim Velke

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Go with the velke, you will be more than happy. Sure I have never tried a bull rider, but I have never had a need to because all of my velke sulkies work great

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Mr Jim Velke, since this thread is all about sulky, I would like to ask your knowledge on your Velke X 2 with 18" arm, the two wheeled version. Would this fit eXmark TTHP 52"? I am looking to acquire a TTHP 52" if I can find a good deal instead of dealer sometime this year. Would the TTHP can back up 1-2 feet with velke X 2 without jackkniving as it is hydro mower with full reverse capacity? I am used to Jungle wheels on my Metro, but would like you to answer why you think velke x2 is better product worth buying than the Bull Rider or Jungle wheels and others.

sincerely,

7. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

MTR

Yes it will work with the TTHP 52"

Two ways to back up.

1. steer the mower and Velke while backing like you do an equipment trailer. If you back-up too fast and are not good at steering it .......stop......

2. .....step off and let the sulky swing around 180 degrees to trailer back while it's out of your way.

Ours is a lot like the jungle wheels with added benefits.
    1. our platform is wider
    2. our axles are supported better and less prone to bending
    3. ours won't jack-knife on itself
    4. ours folds up under the handlebars in two ways and both ways are more compact than any other sulky.

Why better than Caster sulkies?

1. Caster sulkies hit things easier when you turn near obstacles because they don't articulate and they are wider than others because they need room for the casters to turn around. They usually have a narrow platform to allow for the caster turning clearance.
    2. Caster sulkies create a high polar moment (meaning they make the mower harder to maneuver and get traction in turns)
    3. they are heavier and usually cost more
    4. They cause the mower to loose traction when you back up because the casters turn around creating more leverage to lift the drive wheels up.
    5. harder to use on hills - if you ride on hills the mower will be harder to control and they are wider so walking next to them is harder.
    6. if they fold up at all...they are so heavy and high, they make the front end too light and can interfere with the controls.
    7. if your mower gets stuck and you have to back it out, it's in your way.

JV

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Thank you Mr Velke for your expertly technical and professional explanation, I really appreciate this, probably one of the best answers about sulky so far without nonesense, etc.
    I love the trailering type anyway, as soon as I acquire a TTHP, I would definitely look into the X 2 for good.
    Thanks again.

9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BullRider; it has its good points and bad just like everything. The pro’s are you can back up as far as you want as fast as your machine can go without jackknifing, zero turns are no problem at all. You can switch it to trailer mode, it is very well built and should last a very long time. It will allow you to raise the front-end of your machine but not enough to change blades comfortably so I pull one pin and remove mine. I have had no problem going vertical or horizontal on any of my hills. But my machine is heavy enough to keep my front-end on the ground, when it gets to steep I just walk behind or beside it. I have had no problem just stepping off and walking behind mine. The cons that I have found are it takes a lot more trailer space, when in castor mode which is what I always have mine in, it can be difficult to maneuver in tight or small yards. The tight areas are the big problem in my opinion, that’s where the Proslide would shine because it will raise out of your way on its own saving me time. In my opinion if the BullRider would automatically rise out of the way it would be close to the perfect Sulky or if you could back up for a long distance with the Pro-slide it would be the best for me. I have no experience with any other brands so I will not comment on those. I hope you get all the information you need to make the right decision for you!
    Jeff

10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Looking at a Bull Rider for my next mower, and your reply was very informative! Thanks for sharing J. Gordon.