Sulky Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rottman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Hustler TrimStar 36" hydro and trying to decide on either a bull rider style or standard two wheel sulky. I have used the standard two wheel sulky on my old belt drive snapper, but did not really like it when backing up (Jackknifes to easy). So I was thinking of the bull rider style. I asked the salesman about it, but he suggested the standard sulky because of the stress put on the frame of the mower. He told me they have had the frame crack on some mowers because of the stress put on the frame when turning. Has anyone ever had this problem? Any comments? Thanks Mike
  2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

roll the dice, imo the one lesco makes is top notch.....ive cracked frames with the standard 2 wheel sulky......i weld my own _hit so i really dont care. its a 15 min. fix for me....what i like about the lesco is that u sandwich the sulky on the frame with 2 thick steel plates that they provide....of course its holes are drilled specifically for their machines, with a little modding u can make it work for u.......the only drawback is that u cant fold it up but actually have to remove it from the machine with the supplied pins....toro make a fold up bullrider type that folds up on both sides...visit toros website for a look. if space isnt an issue bullrider, lesco, toro is the only way to go.....and ull go faster...
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Bull rider is the one you want then. I have the tru trak sulky on my new Toro and like it a whole lot better than the two wheeled sulky's I've used in the past. I'm not sure about the mower you want to put it on but the Toro that I have has a very heavy reinforced frame where the tru trak attaches too.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A BullRider can be configured to operate in either a caster or a trailer mode.

I have a 36" Exmark hydro (Viking), and learned the mower was too small to make the BullRider work in caster mode. I use it in trailer mode just fine. A ProSlide would not work with my machine either. It was impossible to handle for the ProSlide or the BR in caster mode. It handles the BR in trailer mode without problems.
  5. happy

happy LawnSite Member

Rottman, check your private messages. I just sent you one. I am about 20 mins from you. Call me
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I think 36" will be to small for the bull rider in caster mode. I would go with a good 2 wheel trailer.