sulky questions

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was doing some searching to get more info on the self steering sulky. But I didn't find what I was looking for. Also, I was left with the impression that there are two Exmark sulkys after reading one post.

Are there two? What's the other one?

Now for the self steering...

I believe I understand the consept of how it steers. As it begins to trailer left or right the steering arm corrects the movement, right???

The casters do not swivel all the way around so there would be less chance of turf damage when stopping and backing up, right???

Also, since it corrects itself and the castors don't fully swivel, it seems it would be a superior design when going across slopes. Am I right there too???

Now for specific questions...

Are the footrests only good for a footrest or is it strong enough to stand on when the rear end gets tired of sitting?

How easy/quickly does it connect and disconnect?

Please explain how it pivots. (Up & down / side to side / left to right ect)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Envy,

Thanks for the post. I'll try to cover all your questions as best I can.

First we only manufacture one sulky and that is the self-steering sit down sulky you’ve described. Your description of how the casters/steering function is right on the money. It also helps prevent the sulky form "jack knifing" when backing up.

As far as the attachment and hitch if functions like a double hinge. One hinge allows the sulky to pivot up and down in relation to the mower. A second hinge would be better described as a pivot is mounted in the center that allows the sulky to pivot side to side in relation to the mowers.

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. In this case a line drawing may be for about 100 so I've attached one from the manual. Notice item #33. The end that is not seen has a solid pin welded on the end. The end that is viewable has a spring loaded sliding pin, which is item #30. To mount the sulky to the hitch kit (the hitch kit bolts to the engine deck and stays on the mower at all times) you simply place the fixed pin in the RH mounting hole then swing the left side in toward the hitch while retracting the spring loaded pin and releasing it into the LH mounting hole. That's it. Hopefully the line drawing will help.

Thanks

Terry

Attached Files:

3. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks!!!! This forum is awsome!!! :blob4:

Some of us are "secluded" and don't have access to see all the good stuff without buying it. Now lets just see how this commercial bidding goes so I know how big and how much stuff I'm going to have to buy.

Trying to plan ahead....:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused:

P.S. You forgot to address my question about the footrest ;)

4. eXmark

Envy,

You’re right I did forget that one. I was soooo proud of myself that I got the line drawing shrunk down small enough to post it and actually got it on the page it sorta slipped my mind.

Foot rest. Yes, it's strong enough for short-term use in this manner but I don't think it will work well as a stand on. The placement of the footrest in relation to the handlebars and seat would make it very difficult and very uncomfortable.

Thanks

Terry

5. Envy Lawn Service

:laugh:
    No problem! I get proud of myself every time I learn how to do the least little thing on the PC myself!

Anyways, I see and understand what you are saying there about the footrest.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Terry,
    Forgive me, but as I understand how the system works, as you backup and the sulky turns, unless the wheels turn in the opposite direction of the turn, the sulky would turn in the same direction of the turn and almost instantly Jackknife. Please help me to understand what I'm missing.
    Thanks,
    Pete

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi Terry,
    Thanks for your info, now I just wonder is that sit-down sulky you explained to us practically for Hydro WB? I knew you have told us that it can work on gear WB but I can see how you gonna work on a tight corner.
    For example, on side of most houses that sit an AC unit and the adjacent house don't want you to even overlap into his or her's, how you are gonna to backup or turn 180 degree with that sit-down if your WB is belt "not hydro" (let alone houses that have fence deep up along side stretching to the front!). I don't think I can pull a 417-500 lbs with sit-down sulky and do 180* turn like I do with my Metro/Jungle wheels on that "particular" spot, you see my point? The Z or Hydro will not have problem at all for narrow side of house.
    And if you cut 10 houses on that day by yourself, I see a "major" problem with that sit-down if your mower is belt.
    Oh well, just worndering , and if any one has better experience with the sit-down, please fill in. I love to know.
    Great forum, by the way

Exmark all the way,

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own and use the Exmark sitdown steerable sulky on my 2 Exmark hydro w/b's. I don't fully understand the science of how the sulky works but what I can tell you ii it works VERY WELL on my two machines. If you can swing the $600.00 fot it, it is well worth it, IMHO. As far as standing up, it is a little uncomfortable but can be done. I'm in the process of attempting a slight "modification" to maybe make it a little more standup friendly. Who knows, maybe Exmark will come out with a standup/sitdown model, (hint, hint).

9. eXmark

Pete,

The best way to understand how the sulky works is to try one. Here's the best way I can explain it.

Your stand on sulky's usually fall into two categories the swiveling platform like the single wheel and some of the two wheel units. The platform that you stand on actually pivots rather than a set of caster wheels pivoting. This type is very compact can often can be pivoted out of the way but is difficult to back up. It can also be difficult if not impossible to zero turn with this type and the tighter you turn the farther away from the outside controls you will be. Often this long reach when making turns can be difficult for some operators.

The second category is the fixed platform where you stay in your same relative position to the mower but a set of caster wheels pivot beneath you. It's easier to back up but it effectively lengthens the machine so that the two function as one large machine rather than a mower with a trailer. This also puts you back a good distance from the pivot point in your zero turn so you swing around turns and gives you a wide turning radius. With this type you can still perform a zero turn and keeps you the same relative distance from the controls.

I'm sure you've seen the large loaders on construction sites that articulate in the middle. That is a better representation of how our sulky works. While it will not zero turn it also may bind at some point but won't let the mower/rider jack knife to a point they get much more close and personal than they would like. While your position will change in relation to the mower when making turns it is not as extreme as you find with the pivoting platform. It can also work in tighter areas than the fixed platform type because it is a little more maneuverable. You can also back it up much more easily than the pivoting platform it does take more practice to do so than on a fixed platform sulky. The Exmark Sulky functions in that middle are between the tow extremes of fixed platform and pivoting platform type riding attachments.

All 3 designs have merit and perform some functions better than the others. It really comes down to preference and how you plan on using the mower. If you have small properties you might like the pivoting platform. If you’ve got some properties that are a little larger and you don't have a great deal of landscaping to work around you might prefer a caster type or the Exmark Sulky. If you've got some really large properties and don't have a riding mower then the Exmark sulky again may be your best choice.

Thanks

Terry

10. eXmark

MTR,

I agree with much of what you’re saying. The sit down sulky works pretty well on a belt drive until you try to back up. At that point you begin to see the major differences in drive system performance. If you've got a belt drive the sulky is probably best suited for wide open areas.

Then again you could just get a Lazer HP and use it on the small properties as well as the large ones.

Thanks

Terry