sulky reverse safety

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Aug 9, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Im looking at getting a toro proline from my friend and my dad says that I cant because he thinks im going to back up and fall of the sulky and its going to run my foot over. Has any body ever thought of this being an issue??? and what can I say to him that will make him believe that it could never happen or what can I say in my defence (yes im the kinda person that plans out my arguements before they happen)...

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

My sulky says right on it "step off before reversing." Just let him know that you will follow this rule and all others to make the use of the mower as safe as possible. You can say this even if you don't plan on acting on it, Just my 2 cents

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

dont walkbehinds have like a safety handles that you hold down to go, and if you let off it shuts offf??

4. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i back up while riding mine and i haven't got hurt. and i think it is faster then getting off anyways.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The reverse gear on a proline is like 1/2 mph man. Now even if you do fall off, if you cant get out of the way of that thing in time then you must be handicapped.

6. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

I just remember why he would be a afraid of something like this happening.... When he was like 15 a kid broke the "no coming off the deck until pat(my dad) is finished mowing" rule and the kid's toe got under the mower and you can guess the rest....

I be thats why this worries him

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have been running 2 set of jungle wheels for 3 1/2 years, very extensively using sulky every time engine cranks, and I have never seen such thing falling off sulky while backing up. You must be the clumsiest person on earth or a couch potato never mow lawn, or physically handicapped in order to fall off. BTW, the gear WB can't back up themself, you have to manhandle it, so there is no way you will get hurt backing up.
    WB/sulky is the most versatile to use cutting lawns though it is not as fast as a Z. Every machine has its place, you have to learn how to be very proficient and profitable the machine you use. Some are good at Z, but some are good at stand-up mowers, you have to find where and what is your best tool (weapon) to suit your skill.

8. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

First of all I have never come close to falling off my sulky. If you have a hydro w/b, you can lock your legs and reverse while staying on the sulky. It takes a little practice but you kind of just keep your knees and hips locked and shift pressure in the direction you want to go. Not hard to pick up. I have a one-wheeler by the way.

The only "safety" issue is becoming too comfortable and backing yourself right into obstacles. Even then unless it's a stake or something you're not going to get hurt.

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Your not going to be backing up on a gear-drive mower, anyway. Just as someone else said, you have to man handle it. Reverse on a gear drive is only an assist, basically. Besides, if you were to fall, this would mean you would let go of the t-bar, and the safety would shut down the engine.

10. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

The only times I have come close to falling off my sulky is when I do a tight 180 degree turn running wide open. Backing up I have to shift my weight to the front of the sulky so it doesn't dig in and backing is VERY slow anyway (as was mentioned before). If I did fall, the mower would stop immediately when my thumbs came off the speed controls. I'm not familiar with the Toro Proline but if it's a belt, all this doesn't apply anyway.