sulky riding rough on knees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, May 21, 2006.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

After years of walking behind a mower, and now riding a sulky for a few more years, I think my knees have worn out. Every day now I limp around walking worse than most 70 year olds. I was curious to know if anyone else has developed knee problems from years of bouncing around on their sulky. It never bothered me at all until last year when I hit the age of 40. Now this year it's even worse. I have not yet seen a doctor for it, but I'm pretty sure its just an arthritic, wear and tear thang. Any tips on how to keep the knees from fallin apart before I can retire in a few more years? I guess the obvious answer is to get a rider, which I may have to do eventually. But I was hoping to hang with the walkbehinds for a while longer.

2. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Get your self a ProSlide!! They ride VERY SMOOTH!!

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What I do to spread the wear and tear out over other joints is stand on my tip-toes while also bending my knees...
    So then you got Double wishbone suspension :laugh:

I do find it helps spread the wear, of course more parts of you feel tired but it's not all in one area...
    Try it, if it doesn't help then oh well but hey.

4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Try not to lock your knees.

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

keep your sulky's tire pressure as low as you can... That'll take the edge off of some of the bumps.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get a rider, dude. Don't waste any more of your time and body by standing on those sulky...it is just for hill and gate back yard of some sort. To use them as frontline you asked yourself BIG trouble. Trust me, I have run both 36" and 52" eXmark / sulky since 2002 and just switched to a Z beginning of this season and boy, life is sooo beautiful. WB only use on hill and ditch, bush-hog and they are great at it, no other business for them as primary.
    I standed on sulky all day cutting 40 lawns for 2 years and will never do that way again....:hammerhead:

8. greenn1001

greenn1001 LawnSite Member

let me just say i mowed a lot of lawns last year and i had knee pain that i ignored and limped through and i just finished having knee surgery in october and january . so i would advise getting health insurance if you dont already have it and then going to get your knee's checked on b/c my doctor said i definitely made it worse by ignoring it and beating it up longer than i should have. good luck and i know how you feel.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i am in the same boat as you except i am 50. my knees and hips are hurting from all the years of walking then sluky riding. i bought a zmaster and am smiling at the end of the day now!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Two sides to this ride thing, once you starting riding then it gets harder and harder if you have to do a lot of trimming. Some machines like the little Walker is hard on your butt.