Sulky sit down seats versus Z's seats

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIRCAESAR, Apr 9, 2004.

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am considering one of the sit down sulkies seats for my 48" exmark metro, i am also getting the regular stand on velkie, but here are my questions for the "Z" riders, are these sulky seats just as comfortable as the seats on the "Z's , how is the ride with these sulky seats, from the pictures I have seen and the attachments, it seems like you ride to far behind the mower on these.. how is it controlling your lawn mower from sitting on these sit down sulkies?
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The real drawback to any Z is there's nothing to stablize the rider. Therefore, your neck and back muscles must be used to keep you from tilting fore and aft.
    It's as simple as being a passenger in a car. The driver has the wheel to keep him in place, but as we all know, the passenger must hold onto the side of the door, or keep putting their hand on the dashboard to keep from from bumping into the dash and/or side of the door.
    So, to answer your question, the sit down sulky that let's you hold the grips for stabilization, is the better way to go.

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hey Doc Pete, that was definetly not the answer i thought I would get, since so many of the guys on lawnsite, love the Ztr's. You definetly gave me some insight on this. thanks
  4. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I have one on my metro Hp, the controls are always reachable even if the seat is set all the way back. it is a great attachment for the mower. If you dont mind me asking how much do you weigh?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried the seats on walkbehinds hate em, went and pick up 2 stand up sulkys.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Well for one, you could use your feet to stabilize yourself on a ztr. That could be a problem on a sulky couldnt it?
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody here has the eXmark Self-Steering Sulky and really like it a lot. (DLCS maybe?) Anyways, I was really tempted by those when I was looking to switch over from tractor style mowers to zero turns. The only thing was I couldn't get a demo and from the looks of it, the foot rest was not made to stand on if you wanted to switch around.

In the end I started thinking about the overall length of a WB and any sulky, stand or sit and decided a short ZTR would be more manuverable. So I decided to go with the ZTR first, try to piddle around over the winter and design a better stand/sit sulky.

Snapper has a stand/sit also. But it is a 2 wheel trailering type and the seat ain't all that comfy. I would imagine the seat on the eXmark would be about as comfortable as a lawn tractor seat (same thing) but with some spring to it.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Is that what you do when the driver applies the brake strongly? No, you put you hand on the dash.
    Remember, you're trying to mow a lawn, "which the object of is mowing fast". That means heavy braking at the end of run and hard acceleration after you turn. Just think how many passes you make back and forth, lawn after lawn.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Too Loooong..use a ZTR if you must sit
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Exmark sitdown steerable sulky. When I used it, it worked fine on my TTHP's. I modified it alittle so standing up would be a tad bit more comfortable. Like I said it worked very well when I used it (about 2 years.), but now that I have discovered the Proslide, I like it even better. It's like having 2 machines in one. Now my sitdown sulky collects dust.