sulky strain on transmission?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Timbo, May 1, 2007.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I am having a debate with someone about the strain sulkies put on a mower transmission. I am not going to voice my opinion so I can get an unprejudiced view from whomever wants to answer this. Is a sulky going to ruin your transmission?

The mowers we do/would use them on are bobcats.

1) 36" 15hp Kawasaki
    2) 48" 16hp Kohler

Thanks for your input!

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Why would they make the mower travel at 5 or 6 mph then? The transmissions are made to pull a sulky! Hope this helps.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The sulkies as they exist do not strain transmissions.
    On belt drive walk behinds the drive belts suffer a bit though.
    What REALLY tears up a transmission is shifting to a different speed without de-clutching first - that will screw up a transmission pretty quickly.

4. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean by that?

declutch the blades?
    or
    are you talking about changing gear while in motion?
    or
    are you talking about some sort of drive clutch my 48" wb doesnt have?

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I believe he's referring to gear-driven walk behinds. Usually you have to use the clutch to shift gears, and doing so without using the clutch, under load(even MORE load due to your weight on the sulky) you're going to cause damage.

Unless your mowers are hydros, then they don't have clutches, or transmissions for that matter.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, what I am referring too is to come to a complete stop, with the clutch in neutral, before selecting a different gear on the transmission.
    Failure to de-clutch vastly shortens transmission life.
    I used to go through one or two transmissions a year on my gear driven walk behinds because the crews on the sulkies wouldn't change gears properly.
    Now, with hydros I don't have to worry a bit.