Sulky stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Oct 25, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a one wheeled sulky off ebay (not velke brand) and it makes my stripes look weird. It makes that single line in the middle and it just ruins it completely. For that last time for my lawns I actually had cardboard on the back of it with a brick on it, but that didn't do much. Does anyone have this problem as well?

I'm thinking about going to the dump and getting a mud flap off an old truck. I'll put it on the back of the sulky...Do you guys think this will work? Thanks.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

No..Go buy a proslide. We do use the sulky with the wheel but do not think it affects teh yards aesthetics in a negative fashion.
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 1 wheel sulky on my walkbehind, it does leave a small line, but I do not think it looks bad, its not a rut, just a mark of matted grass.

how much do you weigh, I am approx 185lbs, but depending on how heavy you are it would be more or less severe...
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Lawnboy....

I was reading here yesterday that someone bolted a bar on the back of his mower and attached 15-20 short chains that were dragging on the ground. I dont remember if he posted a picture or not, but he was saying that it worked great and it was pretty cheap.

I dont think a mud flap will do much. If brick on a cardboard did not help, the mud flap will be useless.

I hate to say it....but if i show up with a brick on a piece of cardboard at my client, they will think i am cheap and trashy. If you really want stripes and nothing else works.....just go and spend $300 for a striper from the dealer.

5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I know the brick with the cardboard was just temperary. I weigh about 130. The mark really isn't horrible but it definetly made the stripes look weird, especially at the end of the swipe where I turn around, the sulky is so far behind the mower that it turns in the stripe and looks really weird. It isn't a big problem, just one that I was seeing if there was a solution to. I saw the chain idea and I was thinking about doing it. I guess I will, I'll tell my dad to take me to Lowes tonight hopefully. Do you think I should bolt it on the back of the mower or on the back of the sulky. I think I'm going to go with the back of the sulky since the chains would have to be much longer on the back of the mower. Thanks alot for the help.

I was going to get a proslide but I'm just afraid of that day that it is going to be wet. I have a question with the proslide, what happens if you back the mower up? Will it float on the lawn or dig in and stop the mower?

By the way, petrentz, my dad has a 97 F-150 also, which will be mine when I start driving next year. We have about 103k miles on it, have you had any problems with your's yet, as far as transmission goes and such? We have the 4.6 V8 in it, I'm probably going to be getting either a 6 1/2X12 or 14, how does your truck haul it loaded up? Thanks again.
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any trouble backing up on the really should be backing up too far anyway. If you are going to back up much just step off and step back on. The only time you should be backing up is on your starter lap around the property if even then. I usually just walk that lap and ride the rest...hope this helps...
  7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sell that 1 wheel and buy a 2 wheeler this will take care of your unwanted line in the center.
  8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Hi LawnBoy,

I bought mine (F150) used earlier this year. I really like it, and have not had any problems with it at all. FYI, Ford sent a flyer to all F150 owners 1997-2002 to check their tie rod ends and their center links. I'd check the whole suspension, if i were your dad.

About the hauling.....I have the same engine, but i dont like how it hauls. It seems like it does not have as much power as i want it to have. But it is a good started truck. My next truck will be a F250.

take care. just dont skip school to cut grass.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Not meaning to be a smart asss, but what did you think would happen with a one wheeled sulky? Of course it's going to leave a stripe in the center.

Anyway, what kind of mower are you using, belt drive, hydro?

If a hydro, I'd suggest selling the single wheeled sulky and getting a Bull Rider from Trimmertrap. It's a two wheeled sulky with swivel wheels so you can do true zero radius turns on a hydro WB. You're always directly behind the controls rather then twisting at the hip when turning. You can ride in reverse without jack-knifing.

And no center stripe.
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ditto.... we use the same type, never had a problem