1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sulky Time? YES or NO!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BULLGRAZER, Sep 29, 2004.

1. I'm strongly considering the purchase of a sulky. A local dealer has provided me one to 'try' for a few days. In past, I have not even given a second thought to using one. In fact, at 4PM today I was wondering how he talked me into this demo. However, at 4:30PM - after 30 minutes of use (behind my Toro 32 - 13hp) I'm wondering WHERE HAS MY MIND BEEN AND WHY NOT! So, any walk behind mower users who can share their 2 cents worth on using a sulky - YES or NO...the good, bad and ugly would be appreciated.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

its a no brainer. When i first got it, i thought, ok ill use it for the big lawns. Like you, 1/2 hour later i was thinking, why did i wait so long. The walk behind is just for back yards now, but it hasnt come off for about 5 years.
  3. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Velke (single wheel) spoiled me!.....Would'nt think of doing a small yard without dropping the wheel....Of course you do have to exercise control not to mow to fast and have skips or you do have to dismount on really steep sections to keep drive wheels from spinning or from popping wheelies.....I also have to join the "why didn't I get this long long ago" club....Some of the best $$ you'll ever spend....Less tired at the end of the day and can actually help increase production as well...
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

one word............PROSLIDE :D
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Intersting......I didn't know they made a Proslide "Hydro" :laugh:
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I got a set of jungle wheels for free with a mower i bought. Its pretty nice but jacknifes going backward, proslide for me next year.
  8. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

DITTO pro-slide!!!!!!!! :waving:
  9. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I also got the Jungle Wheels for free with my mower. It will jacknife but after I learned how to back up correctly I never had a problem since. You have to squeeze both leavers back together. Then, make small adjustments to turn backing up. Hard to explain here. But, I will try the proslide next year with my new wb mower. Thanks for the info, LCME
  10. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

My sulky is ALWAYS used. I even leave it down on the trailer traveling between jobs. If you can walk behind the mower you can ride behind it.

The only exception is steep hillsides. And then I just hop off and walk beside the sulky.

Of course I do have a hydro so I reverse all the time. I guess it may be a little different on small lawns with a gear drive (no reverse).