Sulky/Velke vs. ProSlide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by khutch, May 1, 2005.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used a Sulky/Velke, so......
    what do they have over a ProSlide. I guess if you have not used a ProSlide you cannot answer as well as those that have. That said, what I like about the ProSlide:
    Great stripes! You are doing to the grass what a striper does.
    No flat tires.
    No tire ruts.
    Folds up by it self, just step on/off.
    Permanent attachment. No hook up each yard. Use it or not, doesn't matter because it is already there.
    Easy to back up, no jack knife, I just take one foot of to remove a little weight...
    As cheap on or cheaper on E-bay (usually)
    Standing (I feel) is easier and less jarring than sitting, esp. w/o a suspension system of some sort.

About the only thing I do not like:
    Not careful you can bust a shin!
    Dog waste you run over, avoid it by paying attention like you should be anyhow....

So what's the advantage to Sulky's?
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I just got a proslide and I love it except for the fact that I'm fat and I really need to lean when turning or it will catch. You said it all, theres so many advantages to it, plus no one else in my area has one and they all stop and look what it is and if they ask i don't tell :D
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

proslide here. I tried the sulky but love the advantage that the proslide folds up when you need it to. Not bending over o pick up a velke or sulky.
    The only problem with the proslide is when it is old and does not retract to as nice as it used to. Yep busted shins a few times also
  4. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

KC2006, why would you not tell? Have a little confidence in yourself. Your fellow lawnman in your neighborhood can be a great person to share info with, just like this site. I would bet that the other LCO's in your area might be able to share some valuable info w/you if you would give them the time of day.
  5. kc2006

I was joking, actually only 2 or 3 people have asked, everyone else just looks baffled. I'm a nice guy, most of the time :D

For when they get old and the shock starts to get weak, you might be able to find a shock from a car hood or trunk lid that would work (just needs to be the same length and maybe buy one that is stronger then the stock proslide one), unless they sell replacements. I'm going to have a friend at a garage check and see if he can match soemthing up and let you all know what works.
  6. C.Meece

C.Meece LawnSite Member
    from KY

I am looking for a proslide on ebay but can't seem to find one any suggestions
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We have the Proslide and love it. Get a couple extra springs as they will go first. Not to difficult to change but when they break you need to have a replacement.
  8. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

How much are you guys paying for the proslide? I'm looking into carrying them. Thanks
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Local dealer wants 350. I bought mine off ebay for around 140 including shipping. I Really dont think that they are worth much more than 200.
  10. kc2006

I agree, I wouldn't pay 350 for them, or 260 for the older one even. 200-225 is fair, 350 is just too much, i'd walk instead.