Sulky vs. Stand on Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottish lscape1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Looking to add a new mower to the crew a 48". Should I go with a hydro WB w/sulky or a Stand on. If Stand on what brand? JD, wright, everride.

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer a stander...I have a Wright...as far as brands...test them all and see which one you like.

3. I'm most likely going to demo a Wright & Everride. Does a stand on really live up to all the hype!? IE. Hills, works just like a wb,etc. & is the quality of cut as good as a wb.

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is better on hills that a wb I think and the cut is great, no complaints I love it...

5. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

WE HAVE BEEN USING THE GREAT DANES AND HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK - WE CUT HILLS WITH THE STAND ON UNITS THAT USED TO MAKE THE GUYS TIRED WHEN THEY HAD TO WALK THEM, A GOOD STAND ON WITH TIRE PRESSURE SET AT 14PSI WILL CLIMB AND HOLD MOST HILLS - YOU WILL STILL NEED A SMALL WALK FOR THE CRAZY STEEP STUFF BUT 90% OF OUR HILL CLIMBING IS DONE WITH OUR 52" DANES - SIDE NOTE - WE TRIED OUT THE NEW SUFER FIXED DACK UNIT LAST FALL AND IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FLOATING DECK DANES OR THE WRIGHTS I HAVE USED - AND YES THEY ARE AVAILABLE IN THE EVERIDE AND THE GRAVELY COLORS SINCE ACI BOUGHT DANE FROM JOHN DEERE A FEW YEARS AGO.

6. Thanks for the in-put guys.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK... I wanna see where this thread goes :p

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you have a lot of steep hills, I'd get some type of stand on. I tried a Stander last year, that is a sweet set-up. The advantage w/ a WB is that you can get off and walk on a steep incline.