Sulky wheels..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Jun 16, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sulky that i got off of ebay that has been working pretty well. Only problem is that crappy two piece wheels that are on it, like many of the wheels used on hand trucks. The sulky has a 5/8" axle on it. Does anyone know of a good replacement? What about the wheels used on "Jungle Wheels" where are they getting those? making them themselves? What size axle do "Jungle Wheels" have on them? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Why not buy the whole jungle wheels assembly and resell the sulky you just bought? Just an idea that came to mind...
  3. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I just did the same thing as you and am in the same dilemma. I went and got some solid rubber wheels and am having bushings made at a machine shop to fit the 5/8 axle. I wish I would had just bought the velke now. Good luck, and let me know what you end up doing.
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

probably could have used a tube inside the tire. One of our commercial guys did this and has been getting by with it. Also, we put him on a slick tire instead of a treaded and it seems to roll alot smoother without having a tread pattern cut in it.
  5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Tube will help, but if you have crappy bearings then it will be a waste of $.
    Most mower shops have at least 1 old dead mower hiding in the back, call around and see if you can pick up some caster wheels from a Wb or front wheels from a small riding tractor.
    Also many of the landscape supplys have wheels available, with tires, ready to run.
  6. sailinstud420

This whole issue is driving me insane!!! I have a 5/8" axle and can not find a stinking wheel that will fit. Those stupid things from Harbor Frieght are absolute trash, the whole hub that holds the bearings in is just pressed into the wheels. What happens is it loosens up, and now the whole hub is turning, not just the bearings. Upon further inspection the bearings are not even hardened steel... I think with a new set of these rims I may be able to make them work, I'll just weld the hub in place, that way it cannot loosen up. I am going to check into getting some better bearings that are the same size. Aside from that I do not know what I am going to do. I did come accross these (, which look a little better, but they only come with a 3/4" bore. If anyone has any helpful info regarding this issue please post as soon as possible, I have to start mowing by thursday and am not looking forward to walking.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut off the 5/8 axles and weld on some 3/4" ones, problem solved.
  8. sailinstud420

At that point I would just make a new sulky, problem is the axle is to welded to everything else. I do not konw what to do, I bought the sulky from a guy on ebay, thinking that it looked a little more durable than the jungle wheels and a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER! The sulky I have is plenty strong aside from the crappy wheels. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that the jungle wheels axles break off quite frequently and that they bottom pan that you stand on gets bent quite easily. Is this true? I think I am going to threaten him with emailing all his perspective buyers and letting them know what kind of quality stuff he is making, if all goes well maybe I can get him to make one with 1" axles.