1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sulky worthy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnbgone, Apr 5, 2003.

1. lawnbgone

lawnbgone LawnSite Member

I'm new to lawnsite.com. My son and I are starting out small,however; I'm 55 years old and my knees can't take the frantic pace of our new Bunton walk behind. My question is:
    Can a sulky pull a 250 lb. guy around all day without straing the engine of our 15 horse power machine? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

What size deck does it have and is it hydro or belt? Either way it would pull okay, some instances better than others. Definitely get a 2 wheeled sulky
  3. lawnbgone

lawnbgone LawnSite Member

Thanks for your information. We have a 48" deck with belt drive.Most of our customers have small,flat lots. Is there any particular brand that better than most and why ? Thanks again for your info.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm 53 and I'm not really sure how to answer that question. IMO, if you knees are "hurting" from walking, then you may not get any relief from the velky, and may be forced into a rider. However, I as have found, if you are getting "just plain tired knes" from walking so many lawns, than yes, the velky will fix you up right quick.
  5. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

If you are just starting your business you might get by for while with a walk behind but once you get serveral accounts I think you will find you need to sit when possible.

I am 52 and have a bad knee. I had to get a rider to make it. There is still alot of walking even with a rider, but it helps alot.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I am a youngin', but I don't believe in putting a velke on a belt drive. Just my opinion. I find with belt drives, you have to jump on and off it too much when you make turns. Also with velkes you have to bend your knees often, and hitting bumps may be hard on your knees as well. Guess the best advice would be to try it. As many stated, a sit down might be the way to go. :cool:
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

To edit my last post....

After I REALLY read the thread, you said sulky... not velke. I have never used a sulky. Sorry. :sleeping:
  8. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

Which type of sulky is better, swivel or rigid? I just bought a 48" MTD Pro walkbehind and was wondering which would be better. Thanks...:D
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The rigid velky shows it stuff with a Hydro. I can be used with a belt drive but is less efficient with a belt drive, plus the swivel works better with the beltdrive.........
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey LawnBgone, what part of PA are you from?

Check on ebay, there's some less expensive sulkies on there usually.