sulky?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by phillipsce, May 30, 2001.

1. phillipsce

phillipsce LawnSite Member

I have a exmark hydro walk behind. I am looking to buy a sulky. Has anybody got any advice (where to get one, what kind works the best etc..)? I haven't used one before.
    Thanks, Charles.:confused:

2. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

We use Velky brand sulkys, the two wheel type. These sell here in our area (Midwest) for about $270.00. We haven't had a single problem with any of them so long as you grease them often depending on how many accounts you use them on. One suggestion though, I wouldn't put a sulky on a machine smaller than 48" unless you are a small guy (weight wise) or have mostly flat lawns. Hope this helps.

Jay Archer
    Owner/Operator
    Archer Lawn Care

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

We use Velky brand, one wheeled. It works really well, saves the legs alot!! The one wheeled is nice cause it wont jack-knife if you back up. You do get another tire track down the middle. Its really up to you, but I like mine and would buy another. Paid 289.99, bought it from my dealer.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Turf Specialty 2 wheel caster sulky. It is made for hydros. No jackknifing. You can use a sulky behind a 36" easy. They make plenty of power. Guy that worked for me last year weighed about 240 and it never had a problem.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own the bullrider from trimmertrap. It's well built and stays right with the machine, when you turn. The thing I have found is, on ruff terain, it will beat you to death. They also are not good on hills and slopes. That's probally why it sits in my garage most of the time. I see alot of people here talk about the proslide. It might be worth checking out.

6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

One wheel velkie brand and I love it.

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Some people say they will not use the one wheel
    velkie because of the third "line" but never once
    has anyone complained to me. The lawn still stripes
    nicely. Just do not use it if the lawn is gushy or
    you can leave a real rut in the lawn. I am only 170
    lbs and I have done it. Also I have noticed that I
    actually get the smaller lawns done faster by taking
    the thing off. It is just a pin and a pull!

8. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I agree with the majority. We have always used VELKE brand one wheeled units. When they get alot of abuse, they might cause some problems. (its never the employees' fault)This year we went to the 2 wheeled units and absolutly love them. They have helped us "keep the peace" at one of our larger properties. The one wheeled units were causing some rutting/middle track problemd. The clients like the change also.

I agree with MATTHEW also, It is so easy to take on and off, smaller propeties dont need it. (the guys that work for me think they are welded on however)

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a single wheel velke man from way back- 6 years ago and it still works! it is on it's second w/b Dave g

10. Two Wheeled Jungle Wheels - By Jungle Jims. I Walked Until August Last Year When It Got To 113 Degrees. WHAT A LIFESAVER. Found Them On Ebay For $125. + shipping.
    Check Ebay For the seller junglejims