Sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I'm considering buying a Sulky for my 36" Bobcat.

I have a one yard that has a steep slope where a sulky would not work. Can they be removed easily? Any particular brand better?

Thanks!!

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I know my exmark sulky has a quick disconnect. 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. I'm sure some of the other ones re like that.

I'd recommend a pro-slide. My sulkies are beating up my back because they bounce when going over even the smallest ruts. The pro-slide distributes your weight over a larger area and I'm sure it doesn't bounce around nearly as much. I'm considering getting a couple for my turf tracers. Plus they leave a great stripe:)

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

ProSlide did not work for my 36" Exmark Viking (hydro drive). The machine is too light, and the footprint is too small. I could not control the direction of the machine. The slider had far too much control of the machine.

I bought a BullRider, and use it in trailer mode. Mine is an older style that converts between caster and trailer modes. I was unable to use it in caster mode, for the same reason the slider would not work. The newer BR do not convert, but the trailer only sulky is a Bronco.

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have the Bull Rider fixed unit on my Ferris DD 48", and was shocked at how well this machine moves me around (6.2 210 lbs). It does bounce you a bit, but i think i might have a solution for that too. I only have about 20 hours riding on it and so far i am happy with it.

5. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Roger, the Proslide (although a great piece of equipment) on our 36" was like the tail waggin' the dog. We replaced it with a Velke single wheel and it works great. On and off with a simple pull of a cotter pin. Also, watch using a Proslide with under powered engines; if you are a heavy guy like me (220) it will not do very well on inclines and if a belt driven unit, it will prematurely wear out drive belts.
    Good luck, there are a lot of options out there.