1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I was planning on getting a sulky sometime soon, and i had a few questions. I dont want to buy one from my dealer way to expensive ($300). Thats for the jungle jims one. I dont know which one to get 1 wheel, 2 wheel, 2 wheel caster. So where can i get them cheaper than 300 and where. Also which brand should i go with.
  2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Find a used one, but IMO $300 for a sulky is $300 well spent.
  3. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I have mad my own sulkys before, and they turn out quite well. The best kind of sulky for a belt-drive like you have is a trailing sulky instead of the caster wheel ones.
    Has anyone else ever made their own sulkies?
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a dual wheel sulky. Something like Jungle wheels, Velke, or Mower Sulky. I would just do a search on Yahoo for mower sulkies and you should get some sites. I think you have a 36" Scag correct? If so I would still go with the dual wheel sulky cause I have a single wheel and I hate it. It leaves the ugly line down the middle and it bounces around a lot. soo.. I hope this helps. Good Luck:)
  5. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

If you do get one, get a steerable two wheel sulky. It just make life that much easier
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Andrew, I have made 2 sulkies for my belt drive wb's. I will have to get a picture up here soon. They are identical trailing dual wheel sulkies. They are completely made out of aluminum which is nice for the light weight and not having to paint them. I have it complete with bushings grease fittings and 3.5-4.1/6 tires?? Not sure if that is the right tire size. I got the wheels from a riding mower junkyard type place. My neighbor bent up the shell out of scraps and my friend has a miller that we machined the rest. Very professional and haven't had to do anything to them in over two years. Cost to me was about $50/sulky but I did have a lot of nice connections.