sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leone LawnCare, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

hey guys what is the best sulky i weigh 220 and i need something that wont rip up the lawn but is really comfertable yet i dont want to spend 400 dollars on it. if it is amazing i would. for a scag. one or two wheels?

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I bought a Jungle Jim's over the winter and used it for the first time today.At first my back and legs hurt a little but once I loosened up a little it was pretty comfortable. I was mowing one of the roughest yards I have and it shook quite a bit but once I relaxed it didn't really notice it. It's going to take some practice but i'm not dissapointed. I weigh 235 and my Toro 44" gear drive pulled my fine and turned easier than I expected. It did spin a little in places but it was easy to step off or push like a skate board and get back on. By the way I paid $ 239 at Alamia.

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

one wheel velke 189 good unit.i like how it holds my feet im a size 15 and the sulky covers the front of my shoe completely and my shoes sit in there very firm so when im going along side a hill it doesn't feel like im going to fall off because its such a tight fit.

4. Leone LawnCare

good to know because im a size 12 and i dont want one that is too small

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey check out Jungle Jim on line. They are having a scratch and dent sale. Some of the products were just used at lawn and garden shows and are perfect. Have a two wheel sulky ( not the starter) for 175.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

2 wheel! Don't buy a one wheel unless your customers like the third strip look and the ruts that it will cause. The two wheel gives half the PSI and thus doesn't rut and the wider wheelbase makes it ride behind the mower tires leaving no ugly strips. The foot platform is roomier usually and most platforms sit low enough that they help with striping by bending the tip of the grass blade over in the direction of travel. Also it makes sense that they will give a much better ride because there's twice as much cushion and only one side will dip in a hole not the whole thing. Velke X2 and Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels are very good ones. Get whichever one has more replaceable parts and bigger tires. The Velke X2 has a nice feature that allows it to turn around in reverse without jacknifing (you must step off though) while the Jungle Wheels' frame doesn't allow this I do not think (could be wrong but I'm pretty sure about this). The Velke X2 has to have it's smaller tires to be able to slide under it's tongue frame though, but it gives a good enough ride. Get one with the pivot close to the platform (both of the aforementioned possess this necessary attribute).

What mower are you pulling it with, hydro or belt, fixed or floating deck and size cut?

7. Leone LawnCare

pulling with a 48 inch scag belt is this ok im gunna get one anyways but will it still do alright? I bought the belt when i had 12 lawns now i have 40 and i can see how a hydro would help

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yea it will pull a trailing sulky fine but not a ProSlide or a castering sulky type. Yes hydro is great I have a 52" hydro Scag with a trailing sulky it goes everywhere! Hills up, down, sideways, rough ground around tight landscaping small yards, I never take it off.

mar27132.jpg

9. Leone LawnCare

what is the difference with a trailing and a castering?

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

trailing pivots like your trailer behind your truck, mine shown is trailing. A castering one has swivel wheels and keeps you behind the handlebars at all times, does not jacknife when reversing. Castering types generally work best on hydro mowers (floating deck even better), and dry, level ground. They are good if you have alot of obstacles especially low trees because it swings you out away from the trees and you can drive the deck under a low tree and back out easily w/o jacknifing. But they dont' do good on a belt drive, hills, and it's easier to tear the yard with the mower if it's wet out. In my opinion a good setup would be a Trimmer Trap brand Bull Rider sulky because it can be switched from trailing to castering mode very quickly and easily and lets you have one sulky for a belt drive and a hydro drive, switch to trailing for hills or a wet day, switch to castering if you have alot of turns/flat ground/dry ground.