1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaussigLawnCare, Oct 14, 2003.

1. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have decided I want a sulky bad and I am considering making my own as a first option. Does anyone have pictures or plans for making them. What works and what doesn't work. Which of the manufatured ones are the best if I go the buying option. I have a 36 in fixed deck and a 44 in floating deck toros. thanks for your info
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Jungle Wheels are the best I have Picked up 3 of them on ebay this year cheapest and the best one was $69.00 The most exp. was $115.00 So check out ebay you never know what you will find
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know how to make one but Pro-One makes excellent sulkies. Got two of them. One on each hydro. They are the best when it comes to cutting in wet conditions with the jumbo wheels.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you want the best (so far) here it is. It's a modified bullrider. The wheels are larger, 10", for a smoother ride. The castor has been increased to eliminate “shimming” and reduce pressure doing zero turning. The sulky has been raised to increase ground clearance so you don’t run the rise of jamming the backend of the sulky in the ground while running fast backwards. Last, there’s a piece of 1” industrial vibration rubber, which you stand on, that cushions the ride even more.
    Finally, to allow for the larger castor offset, the base of the sulky has been reshaped to allow the wheels to spin without jamming in the sides. It does decrease the area for your feet, but if you have smaller feet, it’s fine.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TaussigLawnCare,

Here are some more pics to help in your design.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Get/build a two wheeled.

Purchased a Jungle Wheels, very nice unit.
    If I were to buy one today, I'd get a Bullrider, for reasons mentioned above, plus, on the Jungle brand units, your toes go under the metal at front of platform. Which is normally no problem, but if you ever want/need to dismount in a hurry, this can be like an anchor.

One possible problem with Bullrider, (depending on mower) in transport, when you'd normally raise and hang sulky, Bullrider seems to tall to accomodate that, I'd still get one though.

You will not regret getting a sulky, makes the job so much nicer, faster, less tiring!
  7. Doc Pete

Besides the fact with the bullyrider hanging in front of you slows you down, anyone that lazy to detach it before mowing, deserves to have ram into your "private parts", at an unsuspecting moment.:D
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a hydro with a sulky. I am very interested in the bullrider. How small do your feet have to be to fit into that?

Also, anyone use the proslide wheeless sulky? They seem like they are worth checking into.
  9. Doc Pete

The Proslide is great if you have the power and aren't real heavy. The only drawback to it is you can't mow or go backwards very far without the worry of it jamming into the ground. For me, without the ability to move freely backwards, it's worthless. Just my two cents.
  10. zrider441

zrider441 LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Hydro W/B with the TruTrak Sulky. This unit is excellent, expensive $450. You can back up and turn a tight turn without fear of falling off. I also have a used Toro that came with a Jungle Wheels sulky. It does ok but does not come close to the TruTraks. :)