Sulkys: Buying Guide Info?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscapes, Feb 18, 2008.

1. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

So I've spent time reading lawnsite, I've spent time watching the videos, I've spent time reviewing sulkys left and right. Bottom line? I, like a lot of people, have no idea what to buy!

To the best of my knowledge I have recognized 3 main types. PLEASE chime in on this and offer your .02$. It would help a lot of people if you can share what you think - AND PLEASE SAY MORE THAN JUST "I LIKE THE XXXX" PLEASE, TELL US WHY!!!!!!!!

"Traditional Sulky/Velke"
    These come far and wide, cheap to expensive. There are many brands, but they are all one-wheel or two wheel-units. They look okay, and I may end up getting one, but.... It seems like backing up is tricky, it seems like storing the unit while not in use is tricky. I know you can chain some to the handlebars but that seems like it would make the handles really heavy, making the mower unsafe. I need something that I can put up quickly to mow parts of lots that would be tricky with a sulky of this kind. I have looked at the Jungle Wheels and X2 Velke and the opinions are so varied!!

"Non-Trailering Fixed"
    These are built off the back of the mower and generally have two wheels that can move about in any direction, like the caster wheels on the front of the machine. The operator stands on a sort of fixed position directly behind the mower. Prices are extremely varied. They look really well built, but really heavy! I don't think that storing these chained up to the handlebars is possible, so you would have to take the unit off if you were not mowing a property that suited the sulky. They look really well built, they just seem like a PITA to use! The opinion on these is very varied too!

Then we get to the "Proslide"
    This thing is one of those items that you watch the infomercial and say, "Yeah I NEED one of those." Then you do some more research, and its lost its charm. I'm looking at prices that are $400+ new, which is not out of the question, but that's a lot of money! I'm also a big kid, about 6'1 over 200 lbs. I'm not sure if I wouldn't just crush the grass!! However, there are tons of pros for them and most people are really happy, but $400? That's a LOT!!

My problem? Buy the $250 sulky and probably be happy, but..... I don't want to buy it and wish I had bought a proslide, or vica versa. Tough delema.

Anybody that can help? And pics would also be great! Thanks!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I think the problem you would have with any sulky/velky is your height. We had one on our lesco hydro, my buddy is i think is 6' something was killing his back using it because he had to bend over to reach the handles. I weigh 230 and was having trouble with the thing going, I had to step off to get going then step back on.

Although I did recently talk to someone who said he greases his lesco sulky everyday, sometimes twice a day and never has a problem with going,stopping,turning. but he has to constantly bend over to reach the handle bars, another 6' somethinger.

I cannot say every sulky/velky is like that because I have only used Lesco's but that is my experience with those.

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have used velke's for the last 12 years I started with the single wheel used it for about the first 6 years went thru a lot of bearings. Then i bought a 2 wheel had it about 6 years too and only replace the tires once still original all bearings nice. Plus i can back up on it!

4. advantage landscapes

I really like the proslide.... its just the price! Anybody have a place that they got theirs from for cheaper than $400?

5. RGM

Male, from Baltimore Md

Pro slide is fine if you're less than 180#'s but too much drag on the mower if your more

6. advantage landscapes

On a 48" hydro, 18 hp Honda? really?

7. RGM

Male, from Baltimore Md

what kind of mower and how old

8. RGM

Male, from Baltimore Md

My son on a 2 wheel velky behind a 14 hp 32'' belt drive exmark metro
    an he's 6'3 180#s

walk behind.jpg

9. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same boat as you. I just got a 52" Ferris DD, and I can't decide whether to get a swivel wheel sulky, or a proslide. Acutally Im considering the goslide which doesn't automatically retract, but can be chained up. The price on that is only 159. The problem is backing up and going over pavement. I kind of want the slide sulky because it leaves an awesome stripe. I really don't know what to do.

10. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I really hate the way single wheeled velkys stripe. I think that "windowed" effect looks horrible.