Sulkys... Teach me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Apr 18, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at getting a sulky for a 52' exmark I just picked up used. This is my first commericial mower and I am doing bout 15 lawns in the nieghbor hood I walked em all and now my feet and back are killing!!!. What do you reccomend getting for a sulky? I do not have tons of money so the cheaper the better. I konw you can get ebay no branders for about 160-170. Jungle Wheels I take it are the best kind to buy. I see the length on those is adjustabled, many others do not have that. Would you take a proslide over a wheel model? What are they worth used if I was to sell it in a couple years? Do they hold their value as long as they are in one piece? Anyone have anything they want to sell to me? LET ME KNOW!! I am also in need of an edger, looks like a stick edger is the only way to go, I have heard shinidawa's have lots of problems, What about Husqvarnas? Redline? Echo? Sthil? Other brands? What is your favorite brand and how many ponies (hp) is needed to get the job done? Thanks for the help!!

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hydro or belt drive? Will make a diff. which sulky type. I assume you have a belt drive, if your looking at Jungle Wheels.
    (walking does get old real quick)

Welcome to the forum.

3. sailinstud420

I have a hydro, its a 2000 exmark turf tracer 52" with a 19 kawasaki on it, why does it matter? You think a belt wouldn't pull a proslide?

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If you want the best get a Bull Rider. They are dual-mode sulkies that offer "trailing" or "castering" operation. The castering mode works well on hydro machines. You can back right up without fear of the sulky "jack-knifing" on you.

5. sailinstud420

What do those cost? Anyone know of anywhere online that has sells many different brands of sulkys. I need to get an idea for price. I wish I could pick up a used one but it seems like either people are using em or they are throwing them away because they are beyond repair. How about edgers? what do you recomend?

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It matters a lot. A hydro can take advantage of the castering type sulkies so that you can mow in reverse. A belt really can't, so you can save the extra cost of one.

Trailering Two wheel velkes, jungle wheels, etc...are one type. one wheel velkies have their place, but not if you mow tall grass where they leave an unsightly center furrow.

Do a search on "proslide" for a type of sulky that many love. Your mower could handle it.

don't be penny wise and pound foolish and buy a cheap knockoff, either. Some of them don't perform well, especially when backing up. $250 and up gets you a good unit. You can find them for less on Ebay if you keep an eye out. They last forever, so a used one isn't a bad bet as long as it's not in bad shape.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

(forgot about this thread. Glad you brought it back to the top Brucec32, and may I add you gave a very informative reply.

Oh yeah, it deff. makes a diff. on hydro or belt. Would hate to see you buy a set of Jungle Wheels, since you have a hydro. Got to get a Bull Rider when i get a hydro.

Personally, I could never see any advantage with the ProSide. Not after a member (years ago) made a good point. Imagine how much more energy it would take to pull, say...150 lbs. on a Proslide vs. how much energy the same weight would be on any wheeled sulky. Like to keep as much power for the blades as possible, and as much stress off the mower as possible (just me)
    Never could see paying for the up-keep of a Proslide (unless they have improved the design, from the last time I looked at them)

What advantage do they have? Striping? Too many other ways/devices to stripe nowdays. (sure they would ride smoother, over bumps, ect.)

Do I think a belt would pull one? Sure it would. But wouldn't want one behind my belt drive........ again, just me.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

One advantage a proslide would have would be that in those situations where you DO have to step off and walk, they retract out of the way, whereas a rather large and wide bullrider type castering sulky you have to step to the side of.

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

Very true BruceC32. But with all the problems of the retracting springs breaking, and the money to replace them, it was never anything I would have wanted. (didn't they used to use like 3 springs to retract? Haven't looked @ 1 for a long time. (I'm real cheap, and always figure a Proslide cost too much to maintain) But deff, sucks walking beside these Jungle Wheels, in those situations.

10. metro-hp_48

from TN

Or was it like 2 springs and a hydraulic cylinder like the one's for security doors, and Camero hatchbacks?