Sulky's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawns, Jul 3, 2001.

1. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I am looking to get a sulky for my new toro 36". I dont know if a one wheel or a two wheel, what are the advantages and the disadvantages of each kind, Also does one do a better job on hills than the other. What brands are good?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive never used a sulky before, but i can tell you a few brands. i know a lot of people run rocketwheels from trimmertrap. i think trimmertrap also makes a bull rider. both are two wheeled. the velke sulky is another sulky. (one wheeled) you can get that at landscapersupply. i hear a lot of people on this site rave about the novae corps pro slide. that has no wheels and drags on the grass.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO velkies on flat, open ground are great. Hills, slopes and tight areas they can be a pain. I own the bullrider from trimmertrap. It seems to be a solid unit. It costs about $350.00 if I remember correctly. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. You could try the search feature and get alot more info on this subject.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

not to stray from the thread, but i see several people using the phrase "IMHO". i cant figure out what it means for the life of me. could someone fill me in.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

IMHO= In my honest opinion

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think velkes are the best way to go, and they are better than sulkeys because they have a pin to pull out to remove it, not any bolts.

7. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I have a Proslide on my Bunton 52" hydro WB (18 Vanguard). This thing is great. Up hill, down hill, tight turns no problem. very stable, as I stand at ground level. No feeling of "drag", as one might expect; zips right along like its on wheels. Automatically folds up out of the way if I want to walk. To me, it obsoletes sulkies on wheels.

8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have a one wheeled Velky for my 48" metro HP. It works great, saves on the legs alot. Just need to remember to grease the bearings often so it doesn't freeze up!! I have never had my belts slip due to me riding my velky, I hear some other people talking about slippage, but none here.

9. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Two wheeled Velkie! Have always used one wheeled, but after time and on soft turf they leave a center rut. This year we purchased 2 two-wheeled units and dont regret it.

I am intetrested in the Pro-slide. I have done demo's with them but never bought one. What do people here have to say about them, does the "skid plate" hold up. I saw a guy in town the other day ride right down the side walk, never getting off. I would think this would be to much drag, not mention alot of abrasive action. :confused:

10. Garden Path

Garden Path LawnSite Member

two wheeled velkes are the best thing that people ever came out with, we use them behind our 52 inch cut scag's and they work like a dream on hills, slopes, downgrades, anywhere u go your velke will be behind you if you have a big enough motor to pull it with.
    http://www.thegardenpathlawnservice.com