Sulphur or Gypsum to lower soil pH?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CT John, Nov 4, 2005.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

What conditions determine wether one or the other should be used in highly alkaline soils? Thanks.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

3. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link marko, but that doesn't do much to answer my question.

4. marko

Sure it does.
    • If needed, adjust the pH of your soil by applying lime to acidic soil or by applying sulfur or gypsum to alkaline soil. See the rates in the box to the right.

Sure it does. Either will do. Be advised there is more to it than adding the abount on top of the grass. Could take a couple of years to get to the right range.

5. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

186,282.4 miles per second is not just a good idea, It's the law!
    I like that one. Can I have it?

6. marko

Of course!!!!!

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

To lower the pH use Sulfur. Gypsum (CaSo4) is a neurtal salt. It will not lower or raise the pH.

8. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Gypsum is more of a soil conditioner. Having Ca is kinda anti lowering pH. We already have tons of it in our soil, which is why we have a high pH. We only use sulfur. Sometimes ammonium sulfate as a quick fix in fall or spring. Don't like aluminum sulfate for anything but hydrangeas.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You can also use peat moss, although everything is temporary when the sulfur breaks down the Ph goes back up I have heard the peat will last a couple of years but no data on it. I mix it(peat) in all my pots and flower beds. You can also use citric acid it comes in a powder form and you mix it with water. You can bucket it on small areas or use a hose end sprayer, or if you have an irrigation system and a few $$$ a fertilizer injector. A little dab will do you 1/2 a tea spoon brought a 5-g bucket of water from 8 down to 5.5 Golf course supers throw it into their ponds I am told. My cost was 45.00 for a 50 lb bag at my local golf course fertilizer supplier.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e been using Sulfer coated Gypsum :p

Wether it's actually working on lowering my pH, I have no idea yet, haven't had my soil tested since last spring... I DO know, that you don't want to over-do the sulfer app if you are just broadcasting onto the ground and can't mix (till) it in. As the dry sulfer gets wet it makes sulfuric acid, too much in one place can cause problems! I think I boned myself this way this fall and last... Been applying the sulfer coated gyp AND a lesco fert that's also sulfer coated at the same time as overseeding. Never get very good germination. Now I wonder if I wasn't maybe burning up the new seedlings with the overabundance of sulfur.