summer color in the South

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Any recommendations for some summer color after the pansies die off? I'm particularly looking for white and red.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

geraniums?

3. Begonias or Periwinkle (Vinca) are good choices. Periwinkle does well in the sun and comes in white, red, and pink. I use both in the landscape around my lawn and on customers landscaping as well.

4. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Vincas are tough as nails once established. We use them almost exclusively. Good color too.

5. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

any skin not covered will be red and that covered will be white. HEHEHE

6. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

How long will the vincas, begonias, and geraniums last?

Thanks,

7. Should go through most of the season! In Hawaii we have really only one season, and vincas/begonias just keep living. In fact we must prune heavily every couple months.

I just can't do without my impatiens anytime! So, I just keep on rotating old for new. On the larger areas you may need to use vincas/geraniums exclusively unless the homeowner has DEEP POCKETS! This is because of the durability of the later to the former!

Hope this helps, and lots of color to you.

Aloha,
    P.Y.S.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

We use a lot of begonias, watch the variety though, some don't like the heat as much as others. Petunias after Spring are ok if they are not on the hot side of the property. Geraniums are pretty hearty and will outlast begonias for sure. How about coleus? Can you get those? They are pretty nice looking too. We ordered 350 4" last week. Salvia are pretty nice in the summer as well.