Summer Crabgrass Control Booster

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by chris2879, Apr 18, 2013.

1. chris2879

chris2879 LawnSite Member

Up here in MA it seems the temps are changing, warranting a later application of crabgrass pre-emergent. I have noticed even using good products like dimension, they will sometimes break down come late July or August. I have seen that Lesco has a 0-0-7 Dimension, can that be applied in the late June/early July time frame to further extend the crabgrass pre-emergent coverage. To be honest, I just recently saw this product, and am not really sure what time of year it can be applied. Since it seems to be mostly Dithiopyr and Potassium, I would think it would not burn the lawn in the hot summer heat, is this true?

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

chris you need to monitor your soil temps to judge when you get the pre down. Temps 55-60, extended over 3 or more days, will start to bring crab. For instance right now we are at a soil temp of around 37 degrees I believe. Still very cold, where are you at? Lets just say I am in NO rush to throw pre down on cold, wet soil. If we continue a slow warm up, there will be NO rush to get pre down, should have a good deal of May to do it. A more rapid warm up pushes things up just a bit.

As for the product you mentioned, I checked it out too, solid product, esp. since no N to create an early season flush of growth.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temperature here is 50 degrees F. April 19, 2013. Heavy rain in last 24 hours. Air temp is 62--highest temp of the season. Seasonal temps have been below average.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am wondering how your soil temp is 15 degrees above ours?

5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I have done split apps for years. Use Pre-M when soil temps are 50F for 3 days as stated above (which was last week). Re-spray with Dim in 6 to 8 weeks. I sprayed on April 7.

You can spray in june /july when was your last apps and you do have a max app rate per year; if you care about that.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Sandy?

Full southern exposure? Wait, we haven't had any sun for a long, long time. :laugh:

I need to dig out my soil thermometer.