Summer Cutting Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnbiz Jeff, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Lawnbiz Jeff

Lawnbiz Jeff LawnSite Member

I know you guys in the Southeast have been dealing with hot dry conditions all this year (even the last couple years), but we had a pretty cool and wet Spring and early Summer here and I had hoped we would get lucky and it would stay. However, the last couple of weeks, the rains have missed us and the temps are in the upper 90's. This makes non-irrigated fescue stress and go dormant and even causes the irrigated yards to slow way down. So, it looks like we're back to a typical cut every other week pattern for non-irrigated yards. I probably will only cut about half my customers this week. I sure hate the heat this time of year. Oh well, that's the Midwest in July and August.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i went from 86 lawns last week, 29 last monday, to only 9 today. its going to be bad week, so much for my 90 a week average. havent had good rain here in weeks

3. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

our turf is toast, we cant even run the irrigation with our extremely tight water restrictions

4. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

What is really irritating me is my irrigated customers are not keeping up! What is the point of installing a sprinkler system, then letting your turf and ornamentals burn up anyhow?

It boggles the mind. One lady told me : "Water is too expensive!"

Compare it to the cost of replacing your landscape and get back to me...

5. Lawnbiz Jeff

Lawnbiz Jeff LawnSite Member

Yeah, we had such a long, hot, dry summer last year that it actually killed off quite a bit of grass that many people assumed was "just dormant and would come back". I agree with you that it's easier to maintain than to completely start over or need to heavily overseed in the fall.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One of my customers was spending over $400 per month for 3/4 acre watering. Thats with it raining every couple of weeks last year. Rain is even more rare this year. Other expenses are way up too--gas etc. Many are just focusing on the necessities. Suck for us, thats true....

7. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Busy last week but it is almost 100 here in TN today and very humid. I guess the yards are going to burn up again. I dont have any customers that irrigate. customers here seem to be "fair weather fans" in early spring they see the scotts commercials and so forth and want fertilizer then when it starts getting dry they throw in the towel and wont spend the money for watering their yard. My opinion they are throwing there money out the window in the heat here with no water.

8. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

On a dedicated meter, or was she paying for "disposal"? That seems tremendously high!

No matter. I will get paid next spring to replace anything that succumbs to the elements.