Summer Cutting Heights-Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 7, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

This message is specifically for people living in Southern Ontario. What height do you mow your lawns at during the summer. In the spring, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 looks great. However in the summer, 2 1/4 is too short so I tend to stick to 2 1/2. I feel, however, that this will cause the grass to burn out even with mulching. I have tried cutting at 2 3/4" and 3" but felt the lawn looked a little shaggy after I was done. What does everyone else think?

2. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Joed,
    I'm in Etobicoke.
    With the drought we are having now we are cutting everything at 3. Shaggy looks better than brown. Explain the benefits of cutting high during the summer to your customers. If they water frequently you can
    cut shorter but unless they complain we still cut everyone at 3. You won't be cutting much if you continue at 2.5.

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

4. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Cutntrim,
    Two questions after looking at your website.
    Why don't you run .5 contracts for April. We start cutting everyone 2nd or 3rd week and I'm 20 min East from you. We run 150 .5 contracts for April. Also why charge hourly for cleanups? Charging by the job usually works out to $200 + per hour & you can't tell that to the customer. Nice site. Just curious.
    Whoops. Looked like you changed that info since last time I looked at it.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i share calvin's opinion. brown lawns are the worst, so a little shaggyness from a 3" cut is still better. we only go to 2 1/2 on customer request, and i make sure i explain that without water cutting that low will dry out the lawn. then the brown lawn is their problem, not mine.

in the end i figure if the customer wants it a certain height, then so be it.