Summer Drop Spreader Fert

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Oasis360, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Oasis360

Oasis360 LawnSite Member

Well I dont have a LESCO anywhere remotely close so I am left to rely on BEST brand distributors or the local Feed Mill Supplier. I have a drop spreader and would like to use granular products only here in Vancouver WA and was wondering what some of the guys here in the NorthWest are running as granular this time of year. Most of my lawns are non irrigated Blue / Fescue / Rye mixes.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use Scotts--get it at Home Depot. Turfbuilder 25-0-5 or whatever. The higher the quality, the greater will be the percent of slow release nitrogen.
    But if you are in business, get licensed, then get an Anderson's stainless steel rotary. Home Depot sometimes carries Lesco. However, it is best to base your fert formula on soil tests and supply precisely what your soil needs.

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Fertilizer applications not recommended with a drop spreader. Use a rotary, broadcast spreader.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't Scott's Turfbuilder contain a root inhibitor, for pre-emergence action?

5. starry night

I think the fert/pre-emerg is called Turfbuilder Plus or Plus Halts

6. Smallaxe

Ok, :)

It's been a long time since I looked at a bag of Scotts...

7. starry night

Now, now. I don't buy it. I've just seen it in Lowe's while buying a light bulb.
    BTW the OP probably doesn't know why you questioned the pre-emergent i.e. that it is a root inhibitor for the good grass.

8. Smallaxe

Hahaha,,, Nothing wrong with Scotts, just overpriced. N is N, and "slow release", is quality or not, according to its stability.

Root inhibitor should be an understandable consequence, for all LCOs. :)