1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Summer/ Fall Flowering annuals for shade

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Jul 15, 2013.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hello guys,
    please if you can help I would appreciate it. I have a client who has a shade garden that she wants some summer/ fall color. Having found it difficult to find perennials that flower at this time and tolerate shade, I am searching for annuals.
    so far I found
    begonias
    coleus (doesn't flower but nice color)
    not sure if there are inpatients that will work?

anything else?
    any shrubs with red leaves, or fall/ summer flowers that stay kinda small?
    thanks!

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Funny you mention all of the annuals that I plant in my yard and/or pots every year.

Is it full shade?

Here's a few shots of begonias, coleus, and new Guinea impatients at the front of my house. They all get morning sun then shade the rest of the day (blocked by the house). The only exception is the impatients which are on the front porch so they're pretty much in shade all day.

These were all planted in May from flats. I'm sure you could get some more mature varieties at the nursery this time of year.

There are two varieties of coleus (yes they do flower)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. recycledsole

from MD

awesome thanks for your help. I don't think it gets any direct sunlight its on the northern side against the house.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

No problem, that's basically the same as my house. The front faces north/northeast.

I use vinca in the my backyard and out near the street for the full sun areas.

5. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I did a shade arrangement for this community a few weeks back. Have you check out pike's selection? I recently used 2 annuals that I cant recall the name in an annual bed nor can I find the receipt quickly--2 or 3 weeks ago. Annuals are much more expensive this time of year btw.

IMG_20130620_160431_700.jpg

6. andyslawncare

There is a daylily that will bloom in shade, 'Shady Lady' I think is the cultivar I'm thinking about.

7. recycledsole

from MD

does day lily have a bulb that it comes back from every season? isn't it also spreading?

8. andyslawncare

Daylily is a perennial and grows from a crown, not a bulb. It is a clumping plant which will take up between 1 sq. ft. and 6'' tall to 2.5' wide and several feet tall, depending on the cultivar you choose and your region.