Summer Fert when using organics?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I used an all organic fert in the spring, mid-april. I am wondering if I should put down another application this summer, or wait till the fall? All looks well, cept for a few small weeds, and natures little N makers (clover).

This is year #2 for me doing organics. It was a new lawn, and newly developed lot 2 years ago.
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

It is hard to say. How much N per 1,000 square feet have you put down so far this year? What type of fertilizer was it? That might help some folks direct accordingly. It's hard to say not being there though.
  3. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

The fert was an 8-1-1, I forget the brand name, maybe Organic Way? I put down a 40lb bag over 3500 sq/ft.

Hope this helps!
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The idea of lbs. of N per K is a chemical fertilizer mindset. Building the soil as opposed to feeding the plant is what you want to focus on.

The soil may support enough biology to free up nutrients otherwise unavailable. AM Fungi for exa.
    Organic material provides Cation Exchange sites for most all nutrients. If you blow the clippings back onto the lawn then in theory you are recycling the nutrients, so no need to add more.

N provokes the grass to produce lots of green growth. Middle of the hot summer - not a necessary thing, unless the client wants it. Another protective layer of compost will do much more in greening up the grass and establishing a great growing environment than anything else I have witnissed.

Don't worry about the amount per K... every little bit helps and just don't suffocate the gass with it.
  5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

BostonBull, I would apply now. Have you tryed North Country fertilizers? Here is a link w/ Mass retailers: and here is there main page: I have used the proGro 5-3-4 and the Natures Turf 8-1-9 w/ great results. I still use the N per K for fertilizing. I go by NOFA standards which prohibit more than 3 lbs N per K for the year, . I am doing .75 lbs per K each application 4 times a year.
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of lawn do you have? probably should go by wallz as he is probably from the same area.
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Paul Sachs is not only a great guy and great author but also has great products, North Country is the place to go especially if they are local.

Support your local people instead of the big chains, it really does make a difference

North Country has my vote, ask them about your program, they will talk your ear off and head you in the right direction
  8. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have been using North Country Organics for the past 5 years and have been pleased with the results. The past two years I have used either pro start or pro gro that has been VERY VERY dusty. So dusty that there was a cloud of dust when I left the property and my pants were COVERED in it not to mention the dust in my face. I've spoken with Paul each time and he told me they forgot to put the binder in (vegetable or corn oil, I think). I recently picked up 2 pallets, dusty again. I'm not sure if I will use them again.
    I don't think they have quality control.
    So far no problem with Natures Turf.
  9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

There is also Rob Saunders with True Organics in Stamford CT, They stock our product and also stock Nutrients plus an organic based granular. Rob has a golf course background and is very knowledgable as far as turf and landscape goes.

These are the guys that supply Pepsico world headquarters that has been organic for over 2 years now with excellent results.
  10. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Keegan, yes the pro-gro I used was very dusty and wouldn't flow well thru my spreader. My supplier just called last week to tell me they are aware of the problem and any Pro-gro from here out will be a new batch. I still have half a pallet left, I will use in the fall. The Natures Turf is great but a little pricey.