1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

summer ferts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mowtime, Jun 30, 2006.

1. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

I picked up some new properties in terrible shape, no fertilizer in 2 years, it is hot and they have irrigation. Will 17-17-17 50% slow release work, I always wait till fall but these properties need help fast. Located in central N.C. Thanks for your input
  2. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

With a 50% scu product you should be fine with a very low risk for "burn" but results may be slower than a similar product with a higher rate of soluble urea. I would save the 50% scu product for turf that doesn't get adequate moisture (non-irrigated) and use a 25-30% scu for the one in question. Also that is a fairly high rate of phosphorus, is it necessary?
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'm a big fan of slow release fertilizers. 50% SCU should do fine. I agree with Mowtime that that is alot of P. Not necessary unless you are seeding or your soil test calls for it. Give them something with a decent mineral profile too, like Iron and Manganese. Grass does live by NPK alone. It needs a slew of other stuff to live also.
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what you meant. :D
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

:usflag: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :drinkup: Oops.