Summer has gone already

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Its September already and fall is starting :cry:

I don't know about other areas but this has to be one of the wetter poor weather summer season. Global warming didn't happen this year.

Tourism based business took a good hit with poor weather and fuel costs this year. Not good for the landcapers either nothing is really growing with the wet weather then the Arizona heat that kills every plant and rains again.

The weather isn't really affecting the construction industry there really isn't much going on.

All I hope is something happens in the area or there will be lots of people collecting welfare for the rest of the year :dizzy:

2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

So you work for the goverment? can you shed some light on that?

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Not when your job is on the line :cry:

Who knows I might not have the job the way the B.C. ecomomy is going or they will make my job part time.

No job in B.C. is guaranteed you could be unemployeed tommorow.

Hey I'am not a excavtor operator wondering if I will be working the next day.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

you know gr all you ever say is that your job is on the line or you dont know if you will still have your job next week and everybody always asks you what you do for the govt and you seem to go around the question.. I am kinda starting to doubt you even have a job.. if you do what do you do for the govt.?

5. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been thinking the exact same thing, JLM.

One minute he's saying he's glad he works for the gov't so he doesn't have to worry about losing his job now he's saying he's not sure he'll have a job next week.

6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Typical govt worker! GR, just because it is slow in your area don't mean a thing about mine. Just last week I had a small job, and needed 75 ton of rock hauled in. Went to my friends supply yard to order, and they were out! It took a couple days to get it to the job, they are just swamped. Pretty bad when I need to pre order this little amount if rock. Before I could call and it would be there in a couple hours, but not this year. Nobody else had any in there yard either. Not a single truck sitting in my neck of the woods. All are turning and burning 12-14 hrs a day right now. Dirt work is the same. Some contractors are even having the biggest year ever this year. I have even got 4 nice sized jobs lined up, and I only dig in my spare time.

7. TAF

TAF LawnSite Member
    from Wa

WANABE, I know the feeling. Lots of people calling for small and large projects. I am either runnning my equipment. moving it or doing some routine maint.
    I am also a part timer, but have work lined up till December. All of it word of mouth. Good service, positive attitude and honest hard work has brought me more and more opportunity every year.

I have NO comments regarding GR. Most all posts are the same, I don't have time for them.......................

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

company i work for is actually pretty busy...already booking work into Jan./Feb. which is nice...they laid off guys last winter for the first time in 30 years..doesn't look like they will have to do it this year hopefully....for my sake too...i need that 3 weeks of work during my winter break haha

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have heard that a lot...a local plaster company hired a whole mess of new employees this summer to keep up, a well driller we do work with just bought a new $500,000 rig because they are swamped with work so he had to hire 3 more guys too, stone masons are having a stellar year...depends on your client-el, but things are not nearly as bad now as they were at this time last year....i see them only getting better, especially after the election is over

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Action picture shot: sticking finger down throat, upchucking another GRot "poor me" scenario. Don't even have to read those posts anymore, they haven't changed in 2 plus years........The defination of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. We are proactive and busy AND making a profit AND purchasing new "niche" market equipment. Ted Turner has a good saying " Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!"