Summer lawn aerations . . .?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Exact Rototilling, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ironically I've had a few requests for summer core lawn aeration. I did 2 last week upon request. Basically told these 1st time customers to water before and after to keep the lawn from getting stressed.

I also have two other spring aeration customers that told me they will call me back in the middle of the summer heat to help ward off dry spots.

What do you long term pros have to say? :waving:

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I am doing an aeration on a lawn this coming week for the purpose of getting some compost into the root zone of the turf. Red clay was used for topsoil and dog urine is puddling and causing burn spots.
    A little more drainage and a little more compost and the burning should come to an end. Hopefully.

The danger of summer heat is that the roots are exposed around every plug. Thats a little risky. Otherwise aeration anytime is not a problem I can see. We will be allowing the lawn to dry for a few days so the plugs will crumble apart better and rake them out right away.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful wit hot season aeration. The holes will let water out as well as in. This will speed up drying. If they do not have irrigation it could be trouble. With irrigation they will be ok but when hot dry days with wind comes they will have to water more. But in defense of hot season aeration the mid season opening of the soil does a lot of good it is just dangerous in really hot times. Golf does it all the time but they have irrigation and stay on top of it. Also they will use slicing aeration or spyking aerations during very hot times just to open the soil crust to vent it.
    I would certainly write out instructions for the folks and make them use them.
    turfcobob

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, its been to dry to aerate now. I usually only do it in the spring or fall.

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We avoid summer AE. Prefer to AE in early fall with overseeding.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I only do aerations in the spring and fall. This year has been an exception though since its been raining steady since very early spring, usually its to hot and dry to aerate this time of year.

7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

weve been thinking about getting into aeration and am wondering the different types of aeraters besides the core type that people would recommend . and were just a 2 man outfit with a hundred twenty mainly
    residential accounts that would probably only do 25 or so jobs from 5000 to 10000 square feet per year so it doesnt have to be an expensive / heavy duty unit .

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Summer aeration is ok if the grass is green and putting out adequate growth. A single pass treatment with a drum type aerifier only disturbs about 5% of the surface area so even if there is some desiccation around the hole it shouldn't be very noticeable.

9. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I just did my entire place. I own a Billy Goat. I had a problem with Blight so it looked like crap. I waited for 7 days before doing this to make sure the Blight was gone. I have done this in the past for customers whos lawns have gone to hay. It helps alot! Like others have said just water in after and go back to your regular watering schedule on your irragation system.
    If my customers don't have an irragation system its not worth doing IMHO...