1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Summer Rainfall Total's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by agrostis, Sep 1, 2013.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

These are the number's from my rain gauge. The average monthly total in the summer is around 3.5".

June - 3.91"

July - 9.87"

August - 5.14"
  2. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I haven't found rainfall averages & totals to have much use in trying to grow grass. You could have floods all spring & drought all summer.
    I think a better measurement for landscapers would be the number of rain days.
  3. Billscaping

Billscaping LawnSite Member

4 inches of rain since January,I think one rain out :clapping:
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

It got to where we were having so many rain days we were forced to cut in the rain. Lost a few angry customers for rutting or just not cutting on schedule so be it, there's always next season, we haven't gained as many customers as we were hoping to but we have basically replaced all we lost with just a few more to boot. I just had to tell them sorry we have no control over mother nature.
  5. Billscaping

Billscaping LawnSite Member

I hear ya there,I hate cutting in the rain,blowin sucks,mower droppings suck,and I always thought that it must look dumb to a customer :drinkup:
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What summer rainfall? Haven't seen any.
  7. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris LawnSite Senior Member

We got a lot of rain in the spring but little to none over the summer. Mother nature please bless the northern louisiana with some rain like you did in south louisiana.
  8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

the yearly average is 49 inches, and we are already at 52" with 4 months to go. And im looking at the number chart since 1981 and it looks like every year has a huge storm come through once or twice and dumps 10 inches. So we have broken the record with normal rain. I'm not liying when i say that this has been the worst year in my landscaping career
  9. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris LawnSite Senior Member

Man send that rain down here
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have had a couple of good years in a row, but I have had my fill of mowing in the rain and walking in puddles of water/sloppy grass. My shoes stink to high heaven:laugh: We usually get 49" of rain average. We are way past that average. I don't have many yards this year so the extra rain has been a plus for me. I hope it keeps raining through October. Then is can't slow down for the leaf season. We are back down to average rainfall now. Really doesn't look like Hurricanes are going to bring us much rain.