Summer Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else getting brown stripes lol.

2. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Those are nice! I love the second picture.

[​IMG]

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting the brown stripes here, too.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Those are actually not TOO bad, they're critical but I get a bit of brown like that myself:

[​IMG]

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

When you do real straight stripes are you lookin gway off in the distance at a target or are you just watching your tire area to follow the last pass? I have trouble, at times, keeping real straight stripes.

6. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

When you do real straight stripes are you lookin gway off in the distance at a target or are you just watching your tire area to follow the last pass? I have trouble, at times, keeping real straight stripes.

I go around the property border once or twice and then find a distant point to lay one straight line and then follow the edge with your tire.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that as time passes by I tend to like stripes with a bit less contrast then what I orginally wanted.

At first I wanted ballpark looking stripes, dark stripes contrasting with light stripes. Now I'm thinking that stripes that look too white also look a bit like the grass has been "sun bleached", or dry. Yeah, it's probably just me.

Bithidh an osnaich dheireanach cĂ idhteach??? Gaelic... meaning, the last sigh will be painful.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here my stripes aren't perfect but close is good - I do some of both - Bit of Focus to the end of the stripe, and lots of focus on the side of the deck where the last stripe lays - Caster focus works but the caster is inside and if I use the deck I get wider stripes (and more cut path).

I really don't care for straight lines, I'm going to work on bent stripes since I saw that pic of one guy did a real super job like that. Still it depends, too, if you're using rollers, too much curve and it looks like crap.

The only good thing is once the stripes are down I can take the kit off and next time follow along the pattern and the wb resets them nicely.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bill,
    It looks like the grass is dying in the tire tracks on the pictures..or is that not the case. In Texas after 4 weeks of 95 + degrees the big machines leave permanent tracks/stripes with dead grass. The grass simply won't pull itself back up and is permanently damaged. It isn't anything new and it happens with small machines but the wide tires just make the problem much more visable. And if you cross cut it makes things even worse. This is mainly a St Ausgustine problem but now seeing it on Bermuda.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed,

It is very dry around here, June alone rainfall was off by four inches. I do not know about St.Augustine, but when it gets to dry cool season grass the leaf literally breaks off,leaving that appearance. Two of the accounts in the pictures are irrigated lol.