Summer Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

This is my second year doing apps so I am fairly new to all the different chemical options available. Up to this point I have used mainly Trimec and Vessel for my broadleaves with good results. I have noticed over the last month or so that the Trimec or Vessel alone is not killing the weeds very well. It's not even touching some of them.

I know the weeds get harder to kill as the heat comes on and they get fully grown. What should I mix with my 3-Way to get better results?

Would Speedzone or something like that help?

Thanks...

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

try mixing quick silver its carfentrazone (sp?)in. Carfentrazone is what is in speedzone. if its clover you could mix drive in as well.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Is quick silver cheaper than Speedzone? I have some Speedzone left over from last year.

How much should I mix in?

Also, I here you guys mention using some kind of sticking agent. When should this be used? I've never used it before, but I don't ever apply before rain.

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

try adding a spreader/sticker too.

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Can you tell me anything about these? Are they expensive, how much is needed?

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would definitly recommend spiking Quick Silver with the 3-Way.

As far as price...there is a pretty good savings mixing it yourself vs buying the combo products like SpeedZone which has the same AI's.

I checked into the spreader/sticker and it was going to cost $8/ac and it doesn't really gain you anything on the hard to control weeds.

I think one is better the add the Quick Silver which will speed up your kill (which the customer loves to see) and it will pick up the harder to control weeds.

Just my take as I use Quick Silver a lot and am VERY sold on it!

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for the info. So basically Speedzone is something like Quick Silver and a 3-way mixed together?

How much Quick Silver do you put with your 3-Way?

8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sold on Speedzone in the summer as it is an ester based product which works great when temperatures are below 50 or 60 but it easily volatilizes in warm temperatures. As far as Quicksilver goes, the only thing I don't like about it is that any over-spray that gets on ornamentals will spot them as it is a contact herbicide. My preference during this time of year is Momentum Fx-2 which I have had great experience with.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yes!

They are the same AI's....you are just paying someone to mix them for you in a sense, and all you have to do is tip an pour the QS and you have the same thing.

I usually go 55oz of Three Way and 1 oz of QS/acre.

Works Great!

10. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks a lot for the help. I would have been lost without you guys.