Sump Pump Output

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roman27, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Roman27

Roman27 LawnSite Member

Please check out the attached picture.

Question #1 - What can I do with that pipe?
    The pipe coming out of the house is from my sump pump in the basement. It looks terrible just spilling out into my yard like that. Some have suggested burying the pipe and having it come out the side of the nearest downsloping hill. The problem is that my yard is flat. The nearest hill is the ditch along the street in the front of my house over 100ft away.

Question #2 - What can I do about the bumpiness of my lawn?
    I have decided to renovate my lawn next August wiping out all the existing lumps of grass and weeds. Along with that process, I intend to power rake and aerate. Will that be enough to smooth out this lumpy lawn? Perhaps continuing to aerate a couple times a year, eventually the lumps will disappear?

img_1750r2.jpg

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Just a thought... if you don't want to bury it you can always reroute the pipe to the waste water pipe in your basement. A plumber suggested doing this because I have the same problem that you do especially after a good storm. I'll have a lake in my back yard for at least a day.

3. Roman27

Roman27 LawnSite Member

That's a good idea too, but I heard that wasn't the legal way to do it. I have a septic tank (not city sewer) so there is the potential that my septic tank/field could become oversaturated with all the extra water and start to back up. That would create more of a mess than having an ugly pipe in the yard.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Oh, I did not know you have a septic tank. I have city sewer. I completely agree with the septic backing up being a problem. I just had an overflow pipe run from the sump tank to the main exit line in my house because the power goes out and the basement floods. The water can only enter the pipe if the ground water comes within 1.5" of the top of the concrete foundation. I wonder if thats legal? The work was done by a large company and they never mentioned anything about it. Several companies came out and all suggested doing the overflow pipe only one suggested doing both. I plan on burying the pipe in the spring and running 50' of gutter type flex out toward a drainage valley.

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Home depot carries a 4" elbow with a bubbler cap for around $10. When installed, turf at 3" totally hides the fixture...the cap is pushed up from water flow, then falls flat when the flow is gone.

Run a 4" line out 10-15' from your downspouts, terminate in this bubbler elbow.
    That gets it far enough away from the house...the turf takes care of the water.

We charge $125 per downspout on our jobs.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

2 or 3 years ago, I don't remember. Me and my uncle who is a plumber, installed 4" or 6" PVC (I cant remember) from the house back to the creek, we rented a trencher, it had to be a couple feet under ground for code, and has to be a certain inch pipe, and you cant use too tight of a degree or else it wont meet codes.

It was such a pain though because the ground was real hard, and their were roots all over, and we had to cut through alot of different sprinkler lines, oh and in his city, they bury the telephone lines, cable lines, etc, so we had to call miss-dig, make sure you do the same if you go this route.

But its alot better now, meets code, doesn't flood the back yard.

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

At my house I have the sump pump dug out about 15 feet from the house and had a hole dug. It was big enough to hold 2 truck loads of gravel. The water goes in to the pit it works great.

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Roman,
    Where at in Chicago? I'm in Villa Park.
    I would fore-go the power raking. It is very stressful on the turf, and 2 aerations (spring and fall) should have close to the same benefit. What is causing the uneven ground? I have seen earthworms, movement from frozen water, etc cause these problems. I would probably roll the lawn this spring when it is wet with a tow behind unit (drum filled w/ water), let it set a week or two, then do an aeration to prevent the compactness. In upstate NY This is usually how rough terrain was addressed, especially if the whole yard is like this. I saw many companies use the 200 gal rollers (over 1600 lbs) to smooth out yards. Just remember to aerate afterward.

9. Roman27

Roman27 LawnSite Member

I live in the Dundee area.

I thought about the roller idea, but I don't really have anything to pull it around my yard. I purchased a new Z-turn mower, but I heard that it's not good to pull things with them. Maybe there's a push unit that is heavy, but also light enough for me to push around that would do a good job as well. I'll look around.

I'm not sure what's causing it. When the ground starts to soften, I will dig a bit of it up and see what's going on under there.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

This is a good question. My sump was exiting into an underground pipe. The pipe became clogged and the water started backing up the pipe. So I did a similar thing with a piece of pvc that you did. Now my back yard is pretty much a lake. I have been told it's illegal to pipe that water into the city sewer. I don't have a local drainage pipe, a creek, etc anywhere near. So I'm not so sure WHAT to do with this water. Where does a sump pump normally pipe the water? My area is rather wet as it is, when it rains that thing goes off all the time.

I was thinking about running the sump line along the side of the house and then underground along a buried line to the street, letting it just pump to the rain gutters. I have a customer that does this, and the pipe comes up just before the street curb so it doesn't bust into the concrete. Not sure if this is legal or not.

Who would I call to ask about this? A plumber?

:D