sun beating on stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 15, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here's what's up. I mow a lawn in an open area with lots of sun and the stripes come out very nice without doubles and without a striping kit. The thing is, after I cut it the stripes look green. Then the next day after the sun beats on it they turn kinda brown on top. Does this happen to everyone?

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Are your blades sharp?:)
    How high are you cutting?
    What type of grass is it?
    Is the lawn getting enough water?

And to answer you question...... No my stripes don't turn brown.:D

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This happens, sometimes to me on some lawns. The sun is burning the grass. Try mowing when it's moister out, and/or cooler out. This seems to help my stripes be more well defined and also helps prevent burning. Since the burning isn't happening when you mow, it could be that you need to cut alittle higher. One lawn does this and cutting higher seems to help it. Good luck,
    Eric

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I sharpen my blades every other daybecause I only cut like 3 lawns a day.

I think I'm cutting at about 3".
    (Casters, 3 spacers on bottom, 1 on top,/Blades, 3 spacers, then bade, then 1 more spacer) I don't know what height it is. It seems right.

Don't know what ype of grass
    :confused:

The grass is definitely getting enough water cause it's been raining all week.

5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Cut a couple of 2X4 pieces exactly 3" long and slide them in your chute under your blade tips to check and make sure you are set at 3". Make sure of course that you mower is on level ground such as concrete or pavement. Sounds to me like you may be cutting shorter than 3 inches. May be taking too much off the grass at one time especially if you are having rain and heavy growth. You may even need to mow higher than 3" if conditions are like they are here right now!!!

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Or just take a 12" ruler and break it in half and measure the Tip of your balde pointing directly forward. The back should be 1/4" higher then the front.

Soupy

7. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Raise that mower up. Rember the one third rule..Or you can just read the post "One third rule":blob4: