Sun Damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 16, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The other day when Tom and I met we got into a discussion of the sun's damage to our bodies since we work outside all the time. We noted that both of us have had to resort to long sleeve shirts and wide brimmed hats to curtail damage (and possible skin cancer) especially to our arms, ears and noses. In the past I've used tons of sunscreen to no avail and it seemed that as I get older the sunscreen works less. I've resorted to long sleeved Under Armor loose fit heat shirts that are very light weight yet protect the skin. They also dry out very quickly and don't "sogged" me down like cotton shirts do.

I recently had skin lesions on my arms removed for biopsies but they were found to be non-cancerous. I then underwent treatment by a dermatologist that is a cream that kills the bad cells and sluffs off the old skin. New skin comes up and most of the bad spots are removed. I'll have to undergo treatment a second time this fall to make sure all the bad cells were killed.

I've included some pictures of how the treatment looks. It progresses from turning the skin red, to pussing up the bad areas, to scabbing up and then finally falling off with new skin underneath. The scabbing part is the worse because I felt like taking a grinding wheel to my arms to get the scabs off quicker.

Anyone else experience this and/or what do you do to protect yourself from the sun?

Hayes' Skin Problems 001.jpg

Hayes' Skin Problems 002.jpg

Hayes' Skin Problems 003.jpg

Hayes' Skin Problems 004.jpg

Hayes' Skin Problems 005.jpg

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

man, my girlfriend tells me everyday to wear sunscreen.. im such a fool. I need to get my act together and start wearing it.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

That does not look like fun at all. I'm going to start putting sunscreen on also. I don't want to get that. Hope it gets better soon and keep us posted.

Derrick

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yikes, I had a few lesions appear on my neck last summer, but they cleared up pretty quick.

Sunscreen and hats for everyone!

5. PurpHaze

Right now my skin looks pretty good as all but about two of the scabs have finally come off. My wife says my arms haven't felt this smooth in many years and aren't leathery any longer. The treatment has worked well but it sure was a pain for about a three month period.

6. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

I've been very lucky, no skin problems and for a lot of years in the summer you couldn't tell what continent I was from.

One thing I do know is; skin cancer us usually much bigger under the skin than it is above. So when the doctor starts cutting, it can get ugly.

Wear that greazy stuff and protect yourself. I never do, but I do as I do, not as I say.

bob...

7. At what point is enough,enough.

I myself have been at this game for now over 30 years in the sun working. Yet, I'm prescribed medicine that affect my ability for my body to protect its self from U.V. light.

Sure I take precautions but then I look at my family who has always been out in the sun working, whether it be farming, ranching or landscape management. I guess the only thing that we can do is be pro-active regarding issues with our skin.

What can you do when you working in an environment that is always sunny and hot. I know where I'm working and PurpHaze, it has been consistently over 100 degrees the last few days.

I would love to see sort of a latex product that you can paint on your exposed areas once a day and yet be able to peel it off at the end of the day. I just collect too much dust and grime to always be putting on sun screen.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My appointment with the dermatologist is tomorrow, took 7 weeks to get in. Boy that didn't get me too excited but I guess its better than the alternative.

I was on hiatus from L/S work for a few years in my late 20's and built roofs on apartment complexes here and in Calif. So I,m not expecting to get off too easy.

Our company uniforms are long Khaki pants and long sleeved shirts with a collar there is always sunscreen in the truck.

Thanks for the PSA

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We need a thread that has nothing but pictures of Lawn guys/gals that are burned, lesions, cancer,etc fom the sun. Sometimes some of the young guys and older ones just don't have a lick of common sense. Reminds me of people who smoke but at least they have the addiction excuse why they can't stop.

Cover your body up. Long sleeves, fingerless light weight gloves to cover the top of your hands, hat with snap piece to cover your neck, sunscreen, add electrolytes to your water when extreme heat,etc.

10. PurpHaze

Yup... trips here also and it's supposed to last into next week. Heading to Sacramento this weekend to umpire in a baseball tournament and I'll be the guy out there in long sleeves and a Gatorade IV. :)

Did a Babe Ruth sate championship game yesterday and it was 108 at game time. :cry:

I think I saw some of that at an adult entertainment store just the other day. :laugh: