Sun liquid washing detergent or SURFKING????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lorensanders, Mar 31, 2006.

1. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever heard of using Sun washing detergent instead of using SURFKING ...........Some old man thats sprayed yards for twenty years told me it does exactly the same thind as SURFKING. He said to mix 1 quart per 100 gallons........

Can someone please respond to this.....??? Is it true......\

Thanks.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

never heard of surfking but soapflushing is a common practice to help identify soil dwelling insects. we used lemon joy in turf school ascts as an irritant/ repiratory problems caused and makes them come to the suface.

3. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

SURF-KING is a spreader activator with buffering agents.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

sorry about that. didn't know you trying to compare the two. i read the question wrong;)

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what we did when I started years ago.
    Yes, it works fine. It breaks the surface tension of the water(makes water wetter) for better contact etc.

Commercial spreader/stickers have a few other advantages, but not enough to support the extra costs.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For a surfactant, any non-detergant soap will do. Be careful not to use one with lots of additives. Good old ivory works great. Just watch out for foam when agitating.

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

just about any dish detergent will work .

8. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

There is a difference between detergent and soap. In the old days it was always soap as an emulsifier/surfactant. Better stick with soap, white king, ivory etc., not detergent, dawn, ajax, etc.

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'd like to remind you of tank PH issues if you are planning on mixing with anything else. Most surfactants are used with control products, i.e. herbicides and insecticides to assist in penetration. Many of the soaps on the market are not designed, ph wise, to mix with other products beyond bleach or fabric softeners. In fact, many are very high PH and might lead to unintended results when mixed with ferts, 2,4-D or a host of other chemicals in our toolbox. Keep that in mind the next time you pay for your expensive chems and think about saving a dollar with something off label.

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like palmolive.