1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sun warning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The long sleeve shirt thread made me think about something else. My father has been doing this for over 30 years. In those 30 years he never wore sunglasses. A couple years ago his eye site went down hill. He went in and got checked out and he had cataracts. The doctor told him his are solely caused by sun exposure. Had he been wearing quality sunglasses he wouldn't have gotten cataracts. He has had them fixed and he now wears quality protective sunglasses. His eyesight is also back to 20/20 like it used to be.

For you long haulers do yourself a favor and get yourself a good QUALITY pair of sunglasses! I myself require a prescription so I bought myself a nice pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses.

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Look in the other post I sent you a reply!
  3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% (good sunglasses/less headaches)long periods of exposure to the sun w/o sunglasses gives me headaches
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutely thats another good point!

I just wish mine didnt cost $400 but my eyesite sucks so I had to buck up and drop the coin. I am so glad I did. It was the best $400 I have ever spent!
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I always wear sunsglasses when I am outside. I can't stand to be outside without sunsglasses. My girlfriend says I am anal about having sunglasses on outside.
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i wear my oakleys year around they are such a good lens they don't change color especially snow glair kills my eyes. I have been wearing sunglasses so much I can't go out side without them
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't always wear my oakleys when im outside cause most the time I forget them when I go out the door in the mornings. But after reading about father's eyesight I think im going to leave a pair in my truck from now on
  8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just started wearing sunglasses last year now I cant go without them. I always had a problem going in and out of shady areas and couldnt see with glasses on. After 25 years I got a pair of the oakley w transitions lenses and I dont have any problems other than sweat getting on them. I read somewere that oakley was working on a hydrophobic lens that will repel sweat.
  9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I provide safety/sun glasses for my workers.. they actually look similar to Oakleys and are red to match our red uniforms. The guys like them so much they take them home! Anyway, they're REQUIRED to wear them while operating any equipment.. have you heard how many people lose an eye to bungee cords alone every year? Check out the link below.. scary :dizzy:
    Not to mention my dad works for OSHA and in Michigan they are targeting landscaping crews this summer!

10. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

Costa del Mar all the way!!! I bought them last year and I love them... I lost them last week (bachelor party in Memphis :cool2: :hammerhead: :nono: ) so I will be going to spend the money to get another pair just like them.