Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Who uses sunblock? What are your thoughts?
  2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm suprised that hearing protection gets more replies than this one.
    Hearing loss sucks.
    But skin cancer kills!
    It "runs" in my family!(so does hearing loss!)

I try to cover up as best as I comfortably can and the lather on the juice on the exposed skin.

I admit though, I'm not very consitant with this yet. But I'm working on it
    (I need to get more consistant w/ hearing protection also.)
  3. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I put sunblock on as often as I can remember which sometimes isn't much. sometimes only once a day but if I remember I will do it every couple hours or at least twice a day. I am fair skinned so a good burn teaches me a lesson if I forget. Don't even want to think about skin cancer.
  4. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

Last season I had a customer come out and holler at me for not wearing sun block, hat, long sleved shirt. I felt like the only thing I did do correct was have pants and shoes on. I t turned out that she worked for the Houston Cancer Institute here in Houston. Said if I wanted to continue doing her yard I must comply. Well I now do everything but the long sleved shirt.

I am only 27 and wonder how long my skin is going to last do to all the sun I have received.
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How did she know you weren't wearing Sun-block?
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I get the strongest I can find, skin cancer is nothing to play with.
  7. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Vibe ray you have become a posting machine here the past few weeks. Seems like you have either started or replied to every post. I would like to see the stats over the past 2 or 3 week as to how many times you have posted. You must really be looking forward to spring. I know I am.
  8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use the 45 its about the strongest you can buy. I don't wear long sleeve shirts in the summer but hoss was right skin cancer is nothing to joke about. My sister-N-law has had it several times on her nose. I try and put it on all skin showing. My Mother died from cancer at the age of 58. It wasn't skin cancer but the skin cancer is just as bad. Everyone in our line of work should always put on sunblock. Stay Safe Marks Mowing Service
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to be negative here or get off track, but, I think I'm screwed on this one. Both my parents died of cancer(not skin though) mom 48, dad 62, I think I'm gettin' it either way. I think I'll still be careful though.
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wear it the first couple days but im dark complected and have only burned once or twice.