Sunday Project

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Today I was out checking on a few properties and stopped by a site with 44 zones so I could locate a valve for a add-on. I see the maintenance man for the property management company. He was working on some pipe, I asked "was it irrigation?" and he said" no, main for building". He had tried repairing the 3" main, so the building could have water, until the plumbers could come in the morning but it blew apart when he turned the main back on. This was at 3:30 pm and he had been there since 9:30am. The poor guy was about to cry. He asked if I could help and I said sure. I had some 3" fittings and pipe so I jumped in and patched it back together until the plumbers come in with the backhoe because it is encased in concrete below the 45 and below the 3" copper coming out of the building. This was the best I could come up with considering the little room and the few 3" fittings I had. Once again it looks like the plumbers did not get the pipe lined up correctly from the original install and cracked at a 3" MA going into the building. Well I am now officially at over 45 days(6 weeks) of work without a day off.

[​IMG]

encased in concrete below the 45.....

[​IMG]

You can see that the original pipe is misaligned and stressed the 3" MA.
    [​IMG]

Another view.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats uh interesting.

3" repairs are always fun.

I'd probably have done it without the extra two 90's, but hey, its temp work.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, it's hard to choose the F..k up of the month award..there are so many
    stars!!!!!The reason I vote for this one is the creative primer slops .

4. That's what he tried and there was not enough room, also the fittings would not have lined up correctly, this was the best temp fix and not putting any extra strain on the fittings.

5. Lol I really worked the primer on the fittings and pipe, I did not want the pipes blowing out because of lack of preparation. Ill take correct prep over lack of prep anyday...

6. Get some rest London. I pulled a few of those 40 to 60 days straight back when my divorce put me in a cash pinch and it gets mind numbing after awhile. Nice job by the way. i don't think Jon has ever seen a job on this site that couldn't use two more ells.:laugh:

7. OOOPS MY BAD. I stand corrected two less ells. Sorry Jon. I have to refrain from snide comments the rest of this week.

8. Since Jon is out of the biz and Hayes is retiring , I guess I will be the new resident big pipe guy....

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Well maybe not the only one. Bryan probably has a few big pipe experiences as well as a couple others. 4" & 6" mains are still big pipe. Also have a number of 2-1/2 & 3 installs under my belt.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think that this was a very nice gesture on your part and looks should not be a part of this equation. You helped a fellow in need and did what worked. Ingenuity was required. I commend you sir!