Sundays

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CatholicLawnie, Jul 24, 2006.

1. CatholicLawnie

CatholicLawnie LawnSite Member

Hi all! I was just wondering, when you first started your business did you have to work sundays?

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I've had to work on sundays before I got my license about a year ago. But my Sundays now are still full as can be because I want to get my buisness as large as I can get it.

3. CatholicLawnie

CatholicLawnie LawnSite Member

K thanks, I was just wondering because I am pretty religious and I would still like to attend church.

4. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

I just put in my first two Sundays. It didn't feel right, but as a solo op you got to stay on schedule. I hate when that phone starts ringing. I hate to let customers dictate how I work, but in the end I have to move things around for me and my family.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Nothing wrong with working sundays if your comfatable with the Idea. Nothing wrong with not working them either, everyone needs a day off. Commercial accts on Sun. are a breeze with no cars or people around though.:waving:

6. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Pray while mowing . . . .

7. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I don't work on sun no matter what! (at customer homes) I like to do maintenance, wash my mowers and clean out my trucks and trailers. I don't like to work on mon either I like to go fishing !! Unless rain for tues and wed. I take care of a big resort on sat with a few homes around the same lake so why should I work 13 or 12 days in a row if you work that hard you should hire some help and get a 60''ztr and if you get phone calls at home get rid of them or go into something better suited for you.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I did an industrial park on Sunday as it had no traffic as Mac said, I just cut and listened to the race or game ---BUT I started around 1PM after I went to Church and Bible study. I would stay away from residential unless it rained a lot and you are trying to catch up. Sunday is a day of rest and QUITE for most and they do not want to hear you. But if it rained all week They will understand.
    I believe you are Catholic from your name, Very cool by the way, Does your Church have Sat. Night Mass. Something to think about.

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Mowing on Sundays is fine, especially with commercial accounts as mentioned. Don't mow before noon though, it might give you a bad image with churchgoers.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, forget it. EVERY single time I worked on a sunday, I paid for it one way or the other.

I figure, whoever wrote the bible, God, you know, that was pretty smart to realize every human needs a day off.
    Might as well make it sunday, they say it's a holy day, maybe that's why I get had when I violate this spiritual rule.

So Read diz rule lol: Don't work sunday!

And for those customers who insist? Don't work sunday!

Rule two: Don't break rules.
    If you do, you will find out why this rule exists.