sunglasses/hearing protection

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jul 26, 2005.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

Does anyone find wearing ear muff hearing protection and sunglasses to be annoying? Plus it doesn't allow the hearing protection to get a snug fit. All I can think of is the protection that goes directly in your ears but I like listening to the radio through the ear muff type. Also what about wearing a wide brimmed hat with the ear muff type or is it not a prob for anyone?
  2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i wear sunglasses but no ear protection. No, sun glasses aren't annoying for me
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a little annoying with both on but not much you can do.I cant go without my music, the day seems so much longer.
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear saftey sunglasses and the ear muff type hearing protection. I have gotten used to both of them and they are no bother to me at all.
  5. Mikes Mowing

Mikes Mowing LawnSite Member

I have gotten used to wearing both ear and eye protection. I run my ipod headphones up under the earmuff hings. It makes the day go by a lot faster. And it also distracts you from the annoyance of wearing them both in the first place.

1996 GMC Suburban
    2005 Exmark Metro 48 w/ Velke x2
    2- 21" Honda Harmony II
    Mantis Tiller
    Billy Goat Leaf-Vac
    Stihl FS85
    Echo PB240
    and many more
  6. anc4269

anc4269 LawnSite Member

...wide brim hat is essential! ...especially in Florida! ...i just got one(...don't know why i waited so long to do so...must've been too much sun :D ) and my sweat production has been reduced to 30% of what it was w/o one. i also use a walkman headset to listen to music underneath the hat(...too poor to afford an mp3 player yet, but oh what a sweet day it'll be when i do get one). and beneath the walkman headset i also wear my earbud connected to my cellphone, just in case a customer calls while on site. i've heard so many complaints from people about how hard it can be to contact LCO's while they're working, and having to retrieve voicemail at a later time may cost you an account. another thing i do if you haven't thought of it already is i wear padded weightlifting gloves, and beneath those i also wear wrist supports. the extra padding helps to avoid soreness and callouses, and the supports really help keep the aches and pains away, especially if you have carpal tunnel syndrome like i've got(...several years as a CSR and cashier will do that to you). i don't wear sunglasses for i'm stuck in regular glasses for now, but i hope to get contacts soon and then buy a pair of untinted biker goggles(...y'know, the kind motorcyclists wear that have an elastic strap on 'em)

hope these insights and ideas help you. :)
  7. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

Those new bose noise reduction head phone are really nice .. might save your ears too .. they block out sound from the outside and keep the music in ..The sunglasses and ear protection might be a little uncomfortable but alot more comfortable then losing your hearing or an eye/ c
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I just use a helmet thats got earmuffs, and a face shield built in, its designed for loggers, but works well for trimming, and most everything else too. plus you've got a hardhat on it too. cant beat that now can you?