1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sunny South Florida

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ProScapeOM, Mar 7, 2001.

1. ProScapeOM

ProScapeOM LawnSite Member

What is a good tree for shade that is fast growing. What is the best time of year to plant it?
  2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Best shade tree, one with leaves:) Couldn't help myself. Have you seen these Colorado trees I think they're called Austree? Grow 15' their first. In ten years they'd be 200 feet high. Impressive huh?
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

just trying to help, how big do you want the tree to be and do you want it to be a flowering tree? give back some info, so the guys can halp.
  4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Not many of us have the opportunity to plant in subtropical areas. Are you in zone 9? My memory of living in Florida is a bit hazy, but are live oaks or banyon trees a possiblity? I know that both become large shade trees. Surely someone near you will have suggestions. Is there a large nursery nearby that you can get ideas by walking around?
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Southern Wax Myrtle ...Southern Magnolia ...Weeping Yew ...Pongam ....West Indian Cherry ....Drive around ....find an expample of your needs ....snip off a short branch ....take it to a local established Nursey (not home depot) ask em what it is .....and bingo ...installation can really be year round outside of Nov-Feb