Super chip for towing MPG Increase

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pasto_guy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm actually on vacation and was talking to a guy that installed one of these chips. His is on a dodge cummins that he uses to tow his fifth wheel camper. He said that it has improved his diesel mpg enough to pay for itself in one trip to the beach. (900 miles total). Do any of you guys use anything like this for your trucks and is it worth the money. How about the life of the truck. thanks.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Thats a big BS!!!

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

What yr is your truck?? With the new diesels you run the risk of voiding your wrnty. Hard to belive he saved $400+ in 900 miles.:usflag:

4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up 1 to 2 mpg with my Edge for the Duramax. I paid $400 for it. I didn't buy it for the mileage gains, but it's probably paid for itself in the 15000 miles that I've been running it (no way in 900mi).

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a SuperChips Flashpaq from my Ford dealer for my '05 6.0. In economy mode, it did OK but I loved the throttle response. In tow safe, I liked the power but the Torqueshift transmission seemed confused in city driving. Constant up and down shifting around 45 mph. I finally went back to stock mode. I don't even know where I last saw my Flashpaq. :confused:

To me, not enough difference to try to make up $400.

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

A $400 savings in 900 miles. That would be about a savings of 80 gallons @ $5 per gallon in 900 miles or a little more than 1/10th of a gallon per mile. If he was getting 10 mpg, then he would have been burning 1/10th of a gallon per mile. That would mean that he drove the truck and used no fuel. Unpossible!!!! At 5 mpg he would have been burning 2/10ths of a gallon per mile. To save the 10th of a gallon, he would to have doubled his mpg. Not very likely. And if he was using a Diesel and only getting 5 mpg to start, he'd have been better off with a gas engine to save some money on fuel.

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

My point exactly. he woulda had to double his mileage to come up with that claim. which is flat BS!!

8. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have two 97 f-350's. I had hoped to be able to buy the chips and hopefully save in the long run. But it seems as if everyone thinks it isn't as beneficial as this guy thought it was. Man he must have had a few.

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

they are beneficial if used right. But not that! beneficial. they will most likely get you 1-3 mpgs better.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Alot of the people you hear claim huge mileage increases from adding fueling boxes/chips don't actually hand calculate what their fuel mileage is. They just go off what the overhead computer MPG shows. Only problem with that is that the computer no longer knows how much fuel you're throwing to the truck. This is where the guys claiming 25+ MPGs with their Dodges come from.:rolleyes: