Super concretes that can melt ice and snow

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by 4 Saisons, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

What will they think of next!
  2. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

There is an ad in the paper here for an electric mat you custom order to size You roll it out before a storm, plug it in and it's supposed to melt all the snow as it falls.
  3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

66 construction,

Just reading your signature and I know what I would like to do at 3am :D:D:D
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

my dad owns a car wash and he has electric entrance and exit ramps to prevent ice forming during the winter. they work very well at doing that. some other new solutions are using glycol and running them through pipes under the concrete.
  5. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like the electric mat on the driveway would be fairly expensive to use. Maybe not but it sure seems like it to me.
  6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could remember which one, but out west, there's an airport with 'heated runways'. I want to say denver, but not sure.

I believe it is like someone mentioned before, with glycol running through pipes in the concrete heated by a monsterous boiler.

As I remember the runway is over 10,000 ft long and 150 ft wide. Imagine the cost of that one, then imagine the cost of the heating bill!

Maybe guido will help me out on this one.
  7. Frank

Frank LawnSite Member

Newly built upscale homes around my area are running pipe under there concrete driveways. Now IM not too sure what exactly is running thru them, but I believe it just hot water. I think in the future we will see more of it, as the demand comes along and prices go down.

8. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

We need to throw a monkey wrench in the pipe works or, fellas, we are all going to be out of business. That or we could always go into the business of installing the systems.

9. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We have a customer who had the pipe system under his driveway. It doesn't work anymore and he needs a new driveway because the asphalt is shot. It seems that the pipes would make the job a little bit more difficult though, since the existing pavement needs to be removed. It is at least 20 years+ old, and some areas are settling pretty bad. I was dying to see what it looks like underneath, but because of the potential costs, we were sort of in a holding pattern. Unfortunately he passed away, and that project is on hold for a while now.